Need help from a Pro :P

Chazumi

Beta member
I live in Hawaii so the internet is not that great, (time warner oceanic). I have a Cisco Valet Plus wireless router, about 60 feet away (between 1.5 walls) I get horrible signal.

I've created an aluminum foil reflector to bounce the signal in the general direction I need it, but other than the poor range the internet is very slow. I did a speed test and I'm getting 2.2mbs download and .95mbs upload, does anyone have any tips for how I can improve this in any way shape or form? I've been researching it for about two days now and I can't really find any specific information about the SPEED of the internet, just stuff on boosting the range.

Is there any way for me to do this? Or am I stuck with mediocre internet because I'm in hawaii?

EDIT: More information: I have 3 devices connected to the wireless (two phones, just for calls) and my PS3 for netflix but even with all three devices off I was getting the speeds I posted.

you could always get thos wifi extenders staples sells them or best buy..i used one before in a apartment complex when i worked for this company. for some reason verizon stuck the wireless router down in the basement instead of like finding a way to put it in the hallway. So i stuck a wifi extender between the floors and the people who worked there said they had better signal so.

What speed are you paying for thru your ISP? If you are paying for a 2M connection and getting 2.2M downloads then you are doing well. However, if you're paying for a 10M connection and only getting 2.2M downloads then you have a problem. I would gladly trade your 2.2M downloads for the 1.5M MAX downloads I get from my ISP.

Do the other computers on your router see faster downloads?

Back
Top Bottom