Windows XP Login/Password Screen Help

amazingxamanda

Beta member
I had a laptop from my old job which I never gave back. My login in the network still worked although. I hadn't shut down my computer because I was worried it wouldn't work/couldnt use it. I would just close the lid then when I open it typed it his CTRL ALT delete type my login and password and then it would work. This morning the darn computer froze and I had to shut down and now it's telling me the network is not available. I'm assuming the company changed something etc...

My question is...is there anyway to disable this option now? If I take out the battery? Any tricks? All I get is to the login screen of user name/password thats all. Can't get pass that

ok first off not giving your laptop back isnt exactly morally right and i'm not quiet sure what help you should be given.

BUT having said this it is from a company and not another person and i'm far more leniant when it comes to mis treating a coorporate company than i am another person. So your options, i think the easiest and simplest thing to do is just to pick up a copy of an operating system and re-install it.

There are other ways around this but i'm not i have the effort to go into details for someone that has stolen a laptop.

Sorry . . . .

Ok thanks but for the record I didn't steal it. It was given as part of my early retirement agreement.

Maybe I should have disabled the option of logging in but I'm not very somputer savy and didn't want to screw anything up

If it was given as part of a retirement agreement then I would talk to them about disabling this option. They should (hopefully) be willing to quickly remove it from their domain (or at least give you the local admin account) so that you can use it at home. Otherwise it will probably need to be reloaded (which if you have limited computer knowledge might need to be done at a computer shop).

If you know the PC's name, then try this:

PC-NAME\Username
Local User's Password

Once you're in, then it looks like you will have to get off the domain. To do that, Right-click My computer, select properties. There should be in the tab something called Computer Name.
At the bottom, there will be a "Change" button. Click that, and once again, on the bottom you should have a selection of either being in a Domain or in a Workgroup.
Select Workgroup and click OK. It will take some time, since it's trying to access the network and it will fail, but you should be off after.
Restart the laptop and you're done!

You should try to remove the battery in your motherboard for a few minutes then insert again, I think after booting it will not ask you a password.

yup, I was also unaware of this method to perform login to the system like this..
Thanks ..

Back
Top Bottom