Single HDMI source to 2 monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislennon21

Beta member
Hi,

I currently have a Sony Vaio (only purchased recently) but I would like to connect it up to dual monitors.

I have had a look through lots of different methods but with no definite answer, hopefully someone can help!

My laptop has 1 HDMI port and 1 VGA port. Is it possible to connect my laptop to the 2 monitors with an extended desktop rather than displaying the same imagine on both screens?

The monitors I was going to buy also have speakers so it would be good if there was a way of using the HDMI port instead of the VGA. Would it be possible to use an HDMI splitter, then connect to the 2 monitors with 2 HDMI > DVI cables?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Chris

Try it. It depends on the model of your motherboard. I would talk to Sony since you just bought the laptop and ask them.

Some motherboards have a VGA, DVI, and HDMI port. Most of them won't let you use but two of them simultaneously. Some motherboards won't let you use but one port at once.. it just depends.

I was hoping to be able to connect both monitors so that they can play sound along with the extended desktop.

From what i've read, it doesnt sound like its possible to use an hdmi splitter for extended display. Ive checked that the graphics card (GeForce 410M) is compatible with multi-display.

Would it be possible to use the HDMI splitter to connect to the laptop then use 2 HDMI>DVI cable to connect the 2 monitors?

or

connect 1 monitor via HDMI and one via VGA?

would either of these options give you the extended desktop?

I've just purchased a sony myself with a HDMI lead, plugged it in my tv and plugged the hdmi in laptop, crystal clear picture, was loving it..

You can get a HDMI splitter but it only will show the same image on both computers, I think you might be able to split the screen, it's possible , I've done it via vga but if you're asking to put a HDMI to a HDMI splitter and then have 1 go in 1 source and 1 go in the other source I don't think it will be able to split screen, only clone the screens, altho what's stopping you from trying? HDMI leads are cheap so I doubt it will worry you too much, and having a backup is always the best..

Also you can have sound threw your HDMI, just goto the sound options on your computer and set it to HDMI, Works on the TV sound, don't 4got to set it back to laptop when you've finished

Thanks!

I have watched a few videos on youtube and the way that most people seem to do it is connect one screen with a VGA cable directly to the laptop, then buy a usb>VGA adapter and do the same with the other screen.

This seems to work but with the disadvantage of no sound.

I have found a usb>hdmi/vga/dvi adapter here: Winstar USB 2.0 to DVI , VGA or HDMI Adapter up to: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics but im not sure if it will work with the hdmi.

If it doesnt, i'll just have to settle for VGA!

VGA doesn't do sound you're correct but HDMI does so I'm confused as to why buy that when you can just get a HDMI splitter..

StarTech.com HDMI to 2x HDMI Splitter Cable for Digital Video - Video splitter - Female 19 pin HDMI Type A to M 19 pin HDMI Type A

Wait, what graphics card is in the sony as some g'card do have support for extended desktop use

edit, don't buy the HDMI splitter did some research for you, HDMI doesn't work like that..

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=194719

The hdmi splitter mirror the images onto 2 screens, so there is no way of using the extended desktop.

USB adapters and VGA seems to be the only way possible unless you have any other thoughts? :/

Thanks!

ChrisLennon21-
It's been a few years since your post, but I thought I could help close out this thread by saying, yes, you can extend your Sony laptop to two additional screens (3 total), here's how I did it.

I have a Sony Vaio T-Series notebook, with only one HDMI output and 2 USB ports, and I have two HDMI Samsung monitors at my desk at home. I use a DisplayLink adapter which takes 1 USB port and connects to one of the Samsung monitors, and then I use the native HDMI port to the other Samsung monitor.

I use a USB extender on the remaining USB port so I get back my USB connectivity for other devices.

It works great, I have 3 monitors in total with extended displays across each - excellent video resolution across all 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom