Keys get re-mapped in full screen programs

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, so I have a weird issue that I've all but narrowed down to a hardware problem.

When I play games that are full screen and try to type in the chat the letters are all messed up. For example, in BF3, when I try to type "ammo" I get "z,,o". You'll notice the "a" key gives a "z" character. The weird part is the "a" key functions properly for playing.

In Skyrim I try to open the Steam in-game interface with Shift+[ but have to do Shift+] for it to detect "properly". When I type in a steam chat window the buttons work properly.

What I've done so far:
Updated drivers
uninstalling the offending games
Installed windows on a different hard drive, installed only drivers and the games (not even windows updates)
new keyboards
different USB ports
Memtest
BIOS update

There are 5 peices of hardware (video card, Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU) that I haven't been able to isolate and test so I'm guessing it's one of those (and I don't have spare parts to test them with). If any of you know or have an idea of what could cause this behavior only in full-screen applications I'd appreciate the input.

What kind of keyboard you have? It sounds like it's a keyboard layout mapping issue.

I've tried three of them:
Filco Magestouch and a Das Keyboard. Both are just the standard keys, no thrills or programmable buttons.

I also had a cheap $20 Logitech laying around that I tried too. It has a few extra multi-media buttons for like play and pause but again nothing that's programmable.

All three behaved the same, even on the new windows install. I'm leaning to a USB issue but that wouldn't explain why it works properly in everything but games and other full-screen programs.

Check for malware, try reinstalling the keyboard drivers, or try a generic keyboard driver.

I did some extensive search, but nothing seemed to be solved on that issue. What OS you're running BTW?

Already checked for malware. All the keyboards just use Microsoft generic drivers so there isn't much of a re install I can do for those besides the reinstall of windows which I tried.

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Have you tried lowering and / or highering the screen resolution, then loading up the game, and trying it then?

Im not familiar at all with BF3 - but does that run with Steam like Skyrim Does? That could potentially be an issue.

Does it happen as soon as you go into the game? (I.E. its not something silly to do with overheating somehow)

I know you mentioned its probably a hardware fault, but can't see what else you could do, other than what you have already done hardware wise*

No, BF3 uses Origin which is fundamentally the same thing as steam.

With Skyrim it's immediate. Even the the main "what do you wanna do" menu where I can choose to continue a game or start a new one has the behavior. Battlefield, the more resource intensive game, is more hit or miss on when it starts, but typically after 3 minutes of game play.

My resolution cannot go any higher but I haven't tried lowering it. If that makes a difference that narrows this down to video card or video drivers (drivers have been constant in my tests to keep compatibility with games, no new version yet). I will give that a shot and let you know but I might not be able to report until tomorrow or Saturday.

Just try checking your steam settings when you do that, right click > run as admin, or try using Windows XP thing ( I cant remember the different packs / settings to open it with, I've heard of problems with that before).. See if either make a difference when you have a play.

Basically, I think it might be a steam problem (you seem to have covered so many other eventualities) - do you have any other 'programs' that run full screen except games, or except games that have steam? Do they have the same problems? might be worth a try.

Wont be round myself for a few hours / potentially a day now anyway.

Good luck

The only ones that require typing messages (which is the only time the bindings are off) are games. Non-steam games like BF3 do it too and I don't have steam running when I play BF3 either.

I was able to sneak onto my desktop now between finals and tried lowering the resolution. Even at smaller resolutions I got the same behavior.

As an FYI, I figured out what was happening.

I have a USB remote control so I can control the media center without needing to go to my computer. I took my desktop to a LAN last night and had no issues. When I brought everything home I plugged the extra USB devices in one at a time. When I plugged it in and tested the key mapping was all wrong. Took it out and everything worked fine.

I'm not sure why I never tried unplugging all the excess peripherals but at least I know why I was having the problems.

Figured I'd let you all know as something to look for if you ever have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom