Come on PETA....Seriously?

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
PETA slams Mario over use of a fur suit | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

Mario can't wear his racoon-like 'Tanooki' suit anymore because it's cruel to animals and encourages kids to wear fur. Really...the first thing I thought of as a kid playing Mario was that I wanted to run out a skin a racoon and wrap myself up in it. Come on PETA...enough is enough.

Plus check out their game they have posted in the story as well....OMG...:confused:

UPDATE: Nintendo has now responded, via Eurogamer:

"Mario often takes the appearance of certain animals and objects in his games. These have included a frog, a penguin, a balloon and even a metallic version of himself. These lighthearted and whimsical transformations give Mario different abilities and make his games fun to play. The different forms that Mario takes make no statement beyond the games themselves."

I like what PETA stand for, we shouldn't just take other lesser species for granted, as a part of nature and evolution ourselves, and the top of the food chain; we should use our empathy to protect them and prevent unnecessary cruelty towards them. Unfortunately, the idea of ethically treating animals is too often just associated with one organisation... which unfortunately is PETA.

Stupid stupidity is stupid.

What's next? Bashing Conker's Bad Fur Day for abusing a squirrel being drunk or something? Lighten up dammit!

I like what PETA stand for, we shouldn't just take other lesser species for granted, as a part of nature and evolution ourselves, and the top of the food chain; we should use our empathy to protect them and prevent unnecessary cruelty towards them. Unfortunately, the idea of ethically treating animals is too often just associated with one organisation... which unfortunately is PETA.

Stupid stupidity is stupid.

I agree that we should understand that cruelty to animals is cruel and we need to prevent it. However taking a stand against Mario and Nintendo for using an animal as a "super-power" is stupid. There is no cruelty to animals here and it does not make kids want to wear fur.

As far as I am concerned, PETA will always mean People Eating Tasty Animals.
^This. My cousin has this bumper sticker on his truck (yes the jacked-up 4x4 truck with the unlicensed guns hanging in the gun rack....LOL).

Coons are just oversized Rats anyway! Shoot the damn things! Nuisance. I wish those hats would go back in style, there would be less coons out there.

Coons are just oversized Rats anyway! Shoot the damn things! Nuisance. I wish those hats would go back in style, there would be less coons out there.

I used to take care of a baby raccoon that lived in my backyard. Their behavior is actually a lot more like that of a cat than a rat. They just haven't been domesticated, so they tend to be afraid of people.

I used to take care of a baby raccoon that lived in my backyard. Their behavior is actually a lot more like that of a cat than a rat. They just haven't been domesticated, so they tend to be afraid of people.

They get mean when they mature, though.

They get mean when they mature, though.

They do, but I have a feeling that after a few generations of domestication, they'd be quite tame. Either way, my point was that they are quite intelligent, and it's just an arbitrary set of rules we use to decide which animals we care about. I guarantee that people would have a fit if some designer started using cat fur, but nobody really cares if it's raccoon, because we consider them to be a nuisance.

Anyway, just something to think about. PETA is being totally ridiculous here though. I'm pretty sure they're going by the assumption that any publicity is good publicity, so they just try to piss people off.

Back
Top Bottom