Keyboard trouble.

kelly11

Baseband Member
When I turned my computer on today the keyboard was not functioning and the cursor was not visable on the desktop, it's working properly now after restarting the computer four times but has been acting up lately, the wire as it enters the keyboard may be a problem since moving it seems to have an effect, making the lights on the keyboard turn off and on, but there are no visable cracks in the wire and I've taken the keyboard apart and cleaned it with air, I'm wondering is this a common keyboard problem or an issue inside the computer ? I'd rather not replace the keyboard if I don't really have to.

Not sure if this is related but I've also noticed the mouse acting strange, slight movement can cause the cursor to zip across the desktop and sometimes while on websites the slidebar will zip to the bottom of the page.

My computer is a 6 year old HP Compaq Presario SR 1500NX desktop, the keyboard is the original Compaq model # 5137, the mouse is Compaq too.

Many thanks in advance, I'm hoping I won't be replying from a public computer at our local library !

Kelly

First of all, and just to be on the safe side, I would run Anti Malwarebytes Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Quick scan on that just to make sure its not anything malicious..

The mouse sounds like a fairly common problem. If its a laser mouse, make sure there is nothing blocking the receptor on the mouse to the surface. Also, try a few different surfaces (make sure they are flat, clean surface) I.E. My old mouse functioned very poorly on a mouse mat, but a lot better on a sheet of paper, or just the desk.

If you have a roller ball mouse, take the roller ball out, and clean the little (usually black) rollers inside. (You can use your nails, or something sharper as long as you are relatively careful) Theres usually a build up of dust and dirt around the centre of the rollers, that can cause lots of problems. This is probably the case, especially if your mouse has been fine, and has only recently started to play up.

Definately seems a power to the keyboard issue, if you are moving it and the lights are going on and off. It's not a 'common' keyboard problem, as keyboards are pretty robust. It sounds a problem with the wire with the keyboard at some point, but just try the kayboard in another port, to see if you have any problems then.

Theres not much you can do to repair it yourself - The cost of a new keyboard is pretty much nothing now a days, and almost every standard keyboard should be compatible with your machine (just check the connection type.. E.G USB etc), it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new keyboard than send it for repair.

I agree with Luke on just getting a new keyboard.

To me, it sounds like you have a short in the wire somewhere. As it just started to happen, something must have jarred it enough to create a slight break in the current running in the cable. If it was a port issue, you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard at all.

With the mouse, troubleshoot it by what Luke said first, then if it continues to occur, you might want to check your wires for shorts.

I think it will just be easier to get a new keyboard by try someone else's just to make sure it's a problem with your keyboard. :)

Thanks for all your help everyone, after six years of regular use I shouldn't be surprised, the cord on the keyboard has always been a little short and does get stretched slightly when the desk drawer is closed, the wires are probably broken inside the plastic covering, I picked up a new keyboard and mouse, problems solved :) thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom