Power supply efficient?

iTz DiBByy x

Solid State Member
at the beggining of the year i built a pc (mainly for gaming.)
i used the power supply from my old pc about 550 watts this wasnt good enough so i switched it for a spare one i had which i believe is 730 watts. this runs fine normally until in some games my pc just turns off and boots up again. e.g in skyrim on high settings it cut out about 4-5 mins into the game at medium cut out at about 7 mins. (there was no lag what so ever on high or medium so i refuse to play the game in low settings) it also happens in gta 4 about 15 - 20 mins of playing on high.

is my current 730 watt power supply the problem?
components: nvidia gtx 460 amp edition, phenom quad core 955 black edition, 4gb ram, gigabyte mother board amd3+ compatible, 1tb hard drive.

or should i get a more powerful one if so what wattage?

edit: also ocasianally when i turn my pc on it runs for 10 secs then i hear the the speed of all the fans increase to what i assume is 100% whilst the display is still not showing.

thanks in advance.

i dont believe that your power supply is 730watts, it might say it on it, trying to show off its peak power, i suggest getting another one anyway, power supplys are a mayjor part for your system and is not something you want to cut corners with, it will ither make or break your system. try that and if it still happends come back to this forum and this forum only ( im joking lol ) and the computer GURU guys on here and me will give you the best support we can to solve this problem.

I have around the same spec PC as yours and im using a 550W Corsair power supply so im sure 730W is fine however as niiko101 said your PSU is probably not giving that wattage, what brand is it ? personally i would go for no other brand than Corsair

Other things to consider include, is your graphic cards up to date with the latest drivers ? have you dont a memory test using memtest ? what's the temps your components are giving off while playing games ? (overheating ?) (try downloading speedfan) also you could try disabling automatic restart on system failure (this will display a blue screen stating some error details on what actually happened instead of restarting the PC).

This does sound like something is overheating (Processor ?) i would check the temps while playing the games and post what you get.

CPU could be a culprit, but that "730 watt" power supply has me nervous. Need to know the brand name of the unit for sure.

Back
Top Bottom