DHCP Campus issues

spyke99

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my wireless system in my rez dorm. My university uses a "resnet" system where each room gets it's own port. There are rules that go with this (yawn), one of them being that you can't use a wireless router. This is due to routers "interfering with the campus' wireless system" (despite the fact that they don't have any wireless in my buildings), and them being worried about people using routers to distribute internet to others (despite the fact that we're limited to 7GB of bandwidth per day anyways). I've used my router fine for the first 2 months, however now I'm continually stuck in the "penalty box" (basically slows your internet to dialup speed) because I have "no DHCP lease." My issue is that I cannot renew my lease on my computer (running OSX 10.7) through preferences, it simply just gives me the same IP address as before. However, when I plug my computer in to the wall port using ethernet I can attain a new IP address no problem. When I plug my router back in though, it goes back to the same IP address as before.

This leads me to my question: how can I get my router to renew my DHCP lease? I don't want to stop using my router, it's a pain in the butt to have a cord go all over your room. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Well first, you're breaking school rules and as such you won't find much help here. That being said, you'll want to renew the lease in the router, not on the computer.

If that works or not, I'm not going to be able to help any further because of the obvious rule breaking. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom