Plug in prompt driving me mad and the techs can't seem to fix it.

pand692

Solid State Member
Hi,

Firstly here are my system details.

System Specifications

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 D Dual Core 2x3.0GHz LGA775
Hard Drive
250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 7200rpm 8MB cache
RAM
1GB DDR2
Graphics Card
Motherboard
Asus P5VD2-MX Skt 775 P4M890 1066FSB PCI-E on board VGA SATA RAID LAN 6 ch.audio
Sound Card
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7
Case
Black Benz Tower inc front Audio USB2 ATX
Monitor
17" Multimedia TFT Monitor Silver/Black with DVI
Optical Drive/s
Sony Dual Layer 18x DVD+/-RW 12X RAM
Additional
Black Keyboard and Optical Mouse

I use Google Chrome and Firefox. About 2 weeks ago I kept getting a prompt bar on Google various other pages saying 'An additional plug - in is required to display some elements of this page.' The pages keep moving down to allow room for this and it is very irritating. I have tried everything I know to install the plug - in without success. I don't know which one it is but think it might be Java. At the moment I have version 6. If I disable plug - ins I can get rid but then cannot access some Scrabble.

I finally took it to my computer tech today who could not find the problem at the shop. I bought it home and guess what, there it was again.

I have a PC and at my age of 69 it is an awkward and heavy thing to lug down to the shop. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions. I am no expert but reasonably computer savvy as long as it's not too technical.

Any advice would be most appreciated,

Panda.

Java is universal, once it's installed, it'll work on any browser. You can test Java by visiting this page: How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?

If your version is out of date, it'll help you install an updated version. If your version is current, it'll show you a test page.

More often, the missing plugin is either Flash, or Windows Media (but it's getting rarer to see that one anymore)

If you click the little box that says "plugin missing" it'll tell you which plugin you need.

Hi og,

Greeting from the UK.

Thanks for your reply. I had already checked through the link you gave and I am missing a Java plug - in which I do not seem to be able to download. Anyway, there are other options on the page and I will do some more work on this later today and get back to you if that is OK.

Best wishes,

Panda.

Hi og,

I have now checked Java which told me a plug - in was missing. I have successfully downloaded the latest version and the coffee cup is now displaying. I have rebooted and my prompt is still there.

You mention a little button to click to tell me which plug in is missing but I am not sure where to find this.

As far as I can see Flash and Windows is all OK. My windows is up to date and so is all my scanning and virus updates.

Just a small footnote is that the Computer Tech firm does not do call outs, which is awkward with a PC. I am sure this is probably a problem I can fix. I am prepared to get another person to come out but would prefer not to have to pay for this if I can avoid it.

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Panda.

We need to see the prompt. Take a screenshot and upload it to an image hosting service such as ImageShack or Photobucket if you don't have a way to do it (Dropbox also works if you put the image in your public folder, then right click the file and choose "Get Public URL") and then post it here.

If you have Java & Flash, then there's something else going on. But to know, we need to be able to see it .

Hi og,

I have taken a screen shot but Photobucket, which I have used for years will not allow me to upload it. This is a shame as I was well used to posting into forums using it. I have therefore opened a Dropbox account and put it in a folder. On right click there is not option to get a public url.

The only other option perhaps is to email it to you as an attachment.

I really appreciate your help here and will await further instructions.

Best wishes,

Panda.

Hi agaqin og

I have continued to play around with Drop box and I may have cracked this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49177935/plugin/Plug in.png

Best wishes,

Panda.

Only you will be able to tell me this.

That's good, but I meant the button press, sorry. If you click the button, which plugin is it prompting you for?

Good morning og,

It is 7 am GMT so I guess you are still asleep. Thanks for your reply.

I can only reply to your last question as follows.

Sorry, still not sure which button on which screen you mean.

If I click on PROBLEMS INSTALLING on the screen that I have already sent I get this page.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49177935/plugin 2.png

I have tried all the remedial things it suggests without success.

I have also checked the Java verification link and am prompted to install a plug - in which I have done and got the coffee cup in the dialogue box.

If I click on install on the first screen shot I sent or on the close x the bar disappears until I open the next browsed page when the page moves down and there it is again.

It took me a couple of minutes to take and paste this screen shot this am which is an improvement on the hour it took me to work it out last night.

I appreciate the time you are taking to try and help me with this irritating problem and look forward to my next instructions.

Best wishes,

Panda.

On this screenshot:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49177935/plugin/Plug in.png

It's the yellow button that says "Install Plug-in" - I meant to click that and then take a screenshot of the window that appears. If it's the one that you posted in your latest reply, then do this:

Uninstall all copies of Java. Get it completely off of your system.

Grab the OFFLINE installer for Java:
Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

Install the file. Try the java test page again.

Alternatively, if the issue is with Windows Media Player, that's a separate issue, and you can download the WMP plugin from the page you linked in your reply above this one.

Hi og,

When I click the install button the prompt disappears and the remaining page is my home page which is the first screen shot I sent minus the prompt.

I have heard that there is a malicious prompt doing the rounds and I may have sealed my fate, so to speak, by clicking on the Install update button in the first place. I was suspicious when clicking on the install button didn't work.

I could try uninstalling Java and Windows Media player and re installing. What do you think.

It is not affecting the operating of my PC and all scans today are clear. That is with Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot.

Best wishes,

Panda.

PS

I have already followed the link and installed WMP plug in.

Will try the Java route and report back.

Hi og,

Well, I have just removed Java from my system and reinstalled using the link you gave. In fact I realised that I had already done this once before. Anyway, no change.

I am at a loss what else to try now.

Best wishes,

Panda.

Back
Top Bottom