Which is faster?

tj107us1

In Runtime
If you had two computers with the same hardware (motherboard,cpu,ram,hard drive,etc) and put windows 7 on one and Ubuntu on the other. Which one would be faster?

ok thanks it just seems like its slow i guess its just cause im running it on a sh*ty computer with the old style pentium 4 processer and 512Mb of RAM and a 12Gb Hard drive i found laying around!! LOL :)

why wouldnt you run them on the same computer ?

TRUE i didnt think about that LOL

You'd be amazed at how heavy Ubuntu is. I wouldn't be so quick to judge it as the faster OS. It also depends on how you choose to run it - i.e. what purpose for the given OS.

You choose the install size and what you have running on it. IF you're running 20,000 widgets, Compiz and GTK 3.0 it probably won't be all that fast.

On the other hand, you don't need anything like an anti-virus running in the background.

Ubuntu pisses on windows 7 all around

Benchmarked: Ubuntu vs Vista vs Windows 7 | TuxRadar Linux

The results are by scrolling down

Look at the date on that article. Two years old. I could find no mass market examples of this supposed "pisses all around" People are still clinging to old beliefs when it comes to this kind of thing.

Linux is NOT the lightweight it used to be. This is true of any OS that is trying to appeal to the masses. You have to give up speed for the usability that everyone wants. Finding a balance is what they aim to do however, and while I agree that Ubuntu CAN be faster in some regards, it's not faster overall than Windows, especially Windows 7.

Here are two examples, and they share the same viewpoints:

Ubuntu 10.10 Vs Windows 7 Vs Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) | Expert Reviews

Further re-enforced by an article that while admittedly it's almost 2 years old, says pretty much the same thing:
[Phoronix] Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

~darkseeker~ said:
On the other hand, you don't need anything like an anti-virus running in the background.

You go right on believing that. That's what Apple users used to say about their OS of choice. The bottom line is that viruses and malware are targeted at the products that are used more than the others. Ubuntu/Mac would need scanners too if they were as popular and as widespread as Windows.

Back
Top Bottom