ssd's

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hello,

I have a ssd, a corsair force 3 60gb sata 2. I was wondering if a OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5SATA-3 would work in raid 0 with my current ssd, because the speed of my current one are alot slower than the one i might buy. Also, ive had a sata 3 drive before, but it didnt work well with my sata 3 marvell port, so any suggestions? :)

Generally you don't want to mix drives with different capabilities in RAID, as it offsets the balance of the array, but there's no real reason that it shouldn't work. Since you know about the drive differences, just be prepared in case it doesn't perform up to snuff or gives you errors.

As for a drive not working with a port, be sure it's enabled in the BIOS and that you test it on other ports (and test other drives on the same port as well)

one question, why are you using the marvell port for your hdd ? marvell is just an onboard chipset for SATA 3, might as well use the intel chipset as it will run faster, along with your storage drive and run your CD drive ect ect on the SATA 2 ports.

EDIT: also disabling marvell in bios will also increase boot up time

The ssd which I had was the corsair force gt 60gb, but i sent it back as I wasnt getting anywhere near the speeds i was supposed to (now i know it was due to the marvell port being s***). Is there any point in me buying a sata 3 ssd as i can only used the intel sata 2 port properly? also, would you recommend buying two 60gb ssd's and putting them in raid, or just simply buy a 120gb on its own?

All modern SSDs will come with SATA 3, so there's no point in NOT getting it. It's just a standard, and will help if you ever want to put two or more drives in RAID. For a single drive, you'll come close to max speed, but not over it in every day usage.

a single SSD is plenty, with SSD technoligy always changing they are so much faster then they were 3 - 4 months ago, all you need is one now, then later on they drop in price a bit grab another one and put it in raid

Not to mention, you can sometimes find deals on lower capacity SSD's and put them into RAID 0, and you get win-win. Double the space, double the performance in some aspects. The last time I looked, the 120's I wanted were less than the 256 GB drives, so my plan to put them into RAID 0 would have been justified. That, and the 800MB/sec reads. ;)

Likewise. I'm starting to wonder if the HDD industry is realizing the mad profits that SSD makers can accomplish with their drives, and got a little jealous, then just jumped all over the problems in the news in an effort to jack up prices again.

I can imagine, can't I? ;)

haha i can belive that, only thing i really want to happen is for them to make larger SSD drives at a resonable price, i dont want to have to pay another $430 australian dollers just to run raid 0. soon my wish will come true :) hopfully, unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom