new computer won't connect to internet

gib65

Baseband Member
Hello,

I'm setting up a new computer and I'm having trouble getting it connected to the internet. It's an Acer (model: Aspire M3910) running Windows 7. I have it plugged into a jack that I know works (other computers can connect on it), but when I type in ipconfig, I get this:

Code:
C:\Users\amy delvecchio>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::883d:7932:a7fb:8029%9
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.114
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A4759F59-5120-4578-ADFA-93C67480E4F5}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{F118797A-7FB8-48E4-B6F4-6C641CC22348}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c57:336e:3959:d50a
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c57:336e:3959:d50a%13
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\amy delvecchio>

Releasing and renewing doesn't work.

Any ideas?

The IP looks right. My guess is there is something wrong with the DNS. Instead of release, try ipconfig /flushdns (or maybe it's dnsflush I forget) and see if that helps.

Try disabling and enabling your network card.
Try opeing a Command Prompt and entering: netsh winsock reset catalog <hit enter> and then netsh int ip reset reset.log <hit enter>

Good suggestion jmacavali, but it didn't seem to change anything. Any other thoughts?

Your IP is good, its just that your PC is not getting it. It would be great to see the exact error you have. Hope you did this already -Turning on the Wifi, and check the error message that it gives you, If you see limited or no connectivity, red x , etc.
I am just guessing if you already tried going to run and enter service.msc then look for WLAN Autoconfig and have it started.

^He's not actually connected via wireless. The address is showing up on his LAN port. Can you verify again that the cable works on another computer?

Firewall software?
Proxy setup on IE (by virus or accident)?

Sorry I haven't replied in a while.

I've narrowed the problem down to a bad hosts file. Problem is I can't delete it. It seems to be hidden even when I specify in the folder settings to show hidden files. The erase and rename commands in a DOS prompt can't find it. But I know it's there because if I type in at the start menu "Notepad C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" it opens up. Unfortunately it won't let me save it after changing the contents, so I'm still stuck.

Right click on the file then go to properties. On one of the tabs you should see a "read-only" check box. Make sure that's unchecked.

Right click on the file then go to properties. On one of the tabs you should see a "read-only" check box. Make sure that's unchecked.

That's a little hard to do when the file is invisible (it's not faded out, it's literally not visible).

Back
Top Bottom