CPU Bottleneck?

vistakid10

Baseband Member
OK so I'm looking to build a budget (£450-£500) flight simulator PC for a customer who plays FSX. It has proven to be quite a challenge and I've had to sacrifice quite a lot but I'm just wondering if pairing a Core i3 2120 with a 2048MB GTX 560 is going to be a bottleneck on the CPU side of things... am I going to need an i5 to see the true performance of this 2GB GTX 560?? I understand FSX is only a 32-bit application so I will only be using 4GB RAM in this system (1333MHz Dual-Channel specifically). If you're wondering, here is the 560 I'm looking to use http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...cards/nvidiagtx560fermiseries/nov-gtx562.html

FSX isn't CPU limited, it's GPU limited. You can get away with the i3, but you absolutely must dump as much money into the RAM and GPU as possible. I play FSX all the time, and even two Radeon HD 5870's in CrossFire can't run the game on full settings.

The new version that Microsoft has been working on is going to hopefully fix the atrocious performance of FSX.

I had heard that Microsoft are releasing a follow-up to FSX, called "Flight", does anybody actually know when this is due to come out? I think around next year sometime? I was looking to build a system with a GTX 570 and an i5 2500K with 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaws RAM but sadly I had cut down a lot of the stuff. I guess the customer could a better graphics card (not that a 2gig GTX 560 is a "bad" card) and more RAM at a later date, but do you reckon I could at least run FSX on medium with that card, and also the next flight simulator?

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. And yes, the info I saw said 2012 sometime. I'm definitely looking forward to it. The 560 would be "ok"

Do you mean the 2GB GTX 560 would be "ok" for FSX or "ok" for 'Flight'? If a high-end NVIDIA card made like 5 years after the launch of FSX can't handle the game goodness know what sort of terrible performance people must have been getting at the time on the stuff we had back in 2006/07. :-/

It would be "ok" for FSX. Flight is still unreleased, so I can only speculate, but I know from reading their site and staff interviews that they know performance sucked on FSX, so they're working on changing that for "Flight"

and yes, back when FSX came out, my system couldn't run it very well at all. I had to play it on low settings all the time, and was NOT happy about it.

Right ok then well I ran FSX on my GTS 450 for a while and it was OK if I remember correctly, would upgrading to a GTX 570 make performance any better?

Just to ask, do you remember what kind of system you had back when FSX was first released??

never played the game, got to check it out, love simulation games, but back to the point at hand, games that perform bad usually come down to driver issues, before the release of the new Nvidia driver 285.62 2x Asus MARS II cards in SLI could just run battlefield 3 on ultra, now you go check youtube, you see GTX560 Ti cards getting around 25fps avarge on ultra, me myself with 2x GTX570 am getting 110fps avrage, but on the witcher 2, if i slam everything up to max as it can go, i get 20fps but its an older game. so it just comes down to how the driver uses the card and makes it peform, AMD drivers for battlefield 3 are awsome, GTX590 vs Radeon 6990, lol the 6990 gets a hole avarge 20fps more just from how they programed the driver

Not in this case Niiko. The game ran the same (Crappy!) regardless of which system I played it on. FSX is just a DOG when it comes to gaming performance. If you fired it up and tried to raise the details, you would see what I mean. Your waxing on the various merits of the different video cards is a little out of place in this discussion as well, to be honest.

vistakid: I ran the game on an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with a Radeon HD 4870. 4GB of RAM, and a 22" Acer monitor. ran like sh... well you know. ;) PC I use now is in my sig, but it's overclocked to 3.8 GHz and STILL sputters along if I raise the details too high. Still can't play it on high settings.

We'll just have to hope that Flight is better, I agree FSX is a dog, it just gobbles up everything.

Back
Top Bottom