How practical is this college degree

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
looking of taking college classes when not working and im looking for a good computer degree... i was looking at computer information technology, any input?

Look at jobs in the degree. If there seems to be a decent amount of jobs go for it. Computer degrees are good for finding jobs out of college. It's a weird industry though, because the older guys are not the best. In most other industries, the 30 year guys are the best, they know the ins and outs, not just what a book says. But in CS, it changes so fast, the new guys know the new stuff much better than the old guys. If that makes sense? It's a good industry to be in. I don't know about Computer Information Tech though. Don't take what the college says for granted, nor people who just say you're better off with any college degree, the debt can be paid. Do your own research into the industry. Look at the job market.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying. I see a problem with what you're saying.

It's the old guys that write the exam papers, so the stuff that the old guys know about is on the exams. and doing college courses means that you sometimes learn about stuff that you don't even need to know about.

Whilst it's not a college course, it's not that many years since the ISA bus was on A+ tests, and how many years since any hardware was actually made for it?

Computer degrees. That's cute.

Sorry, disgruntled former college student here, nothing to see... *#%^#$DT#@^$RE*....

Would you say its the specific modules that are important rather than the overall course qualification? As computing has so many peripherals certain areas are open to more job opportunities than others. E.g with a intermediate understanding of computer hardware and software you could set up your own computer repair business in the local area (upgrading, networking, removing viruses, simple web design, tution etc) but you wouldnt be able to write a complex algorithm, its all relative really i think, learn what you think you need to, to become successful at what you want!

Look at jobs in the degree. If there seems to be a decent amount of jobs go for it. Computer degrees are good for finding jobs out of college. It's a weird industry though, because the older guys are not the best. In most other industries, the 30 year guys are the best, they know the ins and outs, not just what a book says. But in CS, it changes so fast, the new guys know the new stuff much better than the old guys. If that makes sense? It's a good industry to be in. I don't know about Computer Information Tech though. Don't take what the college says for granted, nor people who just say you're better off with any college degree, the debt can be paid. Do your own research into the industry. Look at the job market.

really depends where you end up in an interview for. Like, I spend most of my day working with a VMWare remote desktop with XP on it, and remote supporting Windows 2000 systems and XP boxes. Obviously having a Windows 7 qualification would be pretty useless here, and some of the older guys do it better... but a large chunk of companies are working on and with Windows 7 now, so the new guys are really getting ahead of the game if they're taking Windows 7 courses.

@Haku, find out what specifically the specific degree you're looking at (im sure they vary somewhat) involves, ideally you want a bit of the new stuff and a bit of the old.

Back
Top Bottom