yackass

Beta member
Hey,
Im planning on upgrading my old system. Currently I'm running a:
intel pentium d 820 2.80ghz
450w cooler master powersupply
2x2gb ddr2
nvidia 8800 gts.
So i'm planning to switch to amd, simply due to budget reasons. Seems that i can get a lot more out of amd with a budget in mind.
New specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3,2GHz 6MB Black Edition -96 eur.
motherboard: ASRock Socket AM2+ M3A-GLAN -45 eur.
PSU: Modecom PSU 620W 14CM ATX12V2.2 4XSATA 37 eur (not sure if i need a new power supply, i thought that 450w might not be enough)

I am planning to keep my computer case, graphics card and the ddr2 rams for now.
I am building this computer with gaming in mind. I'm not going for the absolute best, that's why i kept the graphics card, but I still want to play the newer releases on decent settings.
So my question is, will this setup work?
2) would the old power supply be enough for the new setup?
3)Is there any way i could save some money, but still keep the same or better performance?

It might be a good idea to upgrade your PSU to a 600 or 650 watt one with the newer hardware and you are right in going for AMD over Intel for this build not only for budget reasons but also because none of the current generation Intel CPUs support DDR2 ram, only DDR3. I reckon if you put in a new PSU you'll be good to go, but the 8800, whilst a legendary card, won't be great forever you know, so you might want to be consider upgrading to something else in the budget range in the future (GeForce GTS 450 for example) or just get the best that you can afford.

with a 8800 i wouldnt be suprised if you try to run a new relase game such as battlefield 3 ect ect, and it crashes after 20mins, if your going to upgrade just take your time, find the things you want cheap.

Thanks for the replies. I am keeping an eye out for good deals, when it comes to video cards. Seems I have a new question. I was wondering, how good is that motherboard for overclocking, since that might come in handy sometimes. I also noticed a ninja plus cpu cooler for sale only for 20 euros. Seems to be a reasonable deal.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3,2GHz 6MB Black Edition -96 eur.
motherboard: ASRock Socket AM2+ M3A-GLAN -45 eur.
You cannot run that CPU on a Socket AM2+ motherboard. You need to buy a minimum of Socket AM3, preferably AM3+.
yackass said:
PSU: Modecom PSU 620W 14CM ATX12V2.2 4XSATA 37 eur (not sure if i need a new power supply, i thought that 450w might not be enough)
450 watts won't be enough, but this "Modecom" is not a name brand, and if you want to cheap out on the power supply, you shouldn't even consider upgrading at all. Get a name brand unit, or don't upgrade at all. Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake... if you're worried about spending too much, get an Antec.

yackass said:
I am planning to keep my computer case, graphics card and the ddr2 rams for now.
Again, can't keep the RAM. Read my above comment about the motherboard.

yackass said:
I am building this computer with gaming in mind. I'm not going for the absolute best, that's why i kept the graphics card, but I still want to play the newer releases on decent settings.
So my question is, will this setup work?
2) would the old power supply be enough for the new setup?
3)Is there any way i could save some money, but still keep the same or better performance?

2) No.
3) Not really. You're using a Pentium D, and current generation in computing even at the entry level is several times faster than what you have.

You could save some money by opting instead for a fast Athlon II model, the L3 cache in the Phenom II's doesn't really add all that much more performance, and you can save the money for new RAM, etc.

Your video card choice, I think, shouldn't be anything less than a Radeon HD 6770 or a GeForce 560 Ti if you're going to be upgrading it soon. The 8800 that you have now will be "ok" but it's quickly being outdated.

Back
Top Bottom