Blue screening...

360john360

Beta member
I have a windows Vista Computer with 64bit and even since I had the computer it keeps blue screening or Creased..... I have no idea what is wrong with it... I have tried replacing the cables replacing the heat sink.... I have all the up to date drivers...
Here is my system info

Processor > AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor 2.80 GGz
Memory (ram) 3.00GB
system type: 64BIT Operating System

Firstly, check your BIOS temps. Where is your CPU at temperature wise? What is the temp of other components in the system such as the chipset? If they're higher than 60C, it should be investigated.

Otherwise, grab this: Download Hiren

Burn to CD or install to a USB drive and boot your system to it.

Run the MemTest on your system for at least two passes (it'll say on the screen how many it has done at the bottom) and if that doesn't show any errors let us know. Chances are however, that if it's not a heat issue, and the RAM tests fine, you may have a power supply that is on its way out or another transient issue with the system board. These steps will give us more insight into the system though.

Something else to check if the temps are fine and it passes the RAM tests, is to run a complete antispyware/virus scan and clean up any problems in there. You can also go to MSCONFIG (Start > Run or press the Windows key and the letter "R" at the same time then let go, then type MSCONFIG and click OK) and click the startup tab. Disable everything in there and reboot. If the problem goes away, you can re-enable items in the list and restart until you find the offensive software.

I'd say to check your RAM. Try running your system with 2GB for a while and see if it's any better, then put 3GB back in and see if you get the same problem. I had the blue screen problem and it turns out one my RAM DIMMs was faulty because when I ran my machine on 6GB RAM magically all the blue screens had disappeared.

A much easier test than trying to isolate hardware based on simple use is to just test the RAM, then if it tests bad, start removing DIMMs and test again. Simply running the system with less RAM won't always isolate a problem, and depending on the motherboard, can introduce more problems. (Especially Intel boards in some cases)

A much easier test than trying to isolate hardware based on simple use is to just test the RAM, then if it tests bad, start removing DIMMs and test again.
Yeah that's basically what I did, I didn't remove a random stick and kind of hope for the best, I tested the RAM first and removed the faulty one.

I have 2 different sticks of RAM.... One being a 2GB One and the other one being 1GB I have tryed taking the 1GB Out but Have not tryed taking the 2GB One out...

I am currently download Hirens BootCD... I think it would be good to check that out.....

I want to know what the blue screen says. If it flashes really quick and just restarts your computer, record it with your phone. Pause it on the blue screen and tell me what it says. Physical Memory Dump? Something like that. That'll tell me what it is and what we can rule out. Blue screens don't necessarily have anything to do with hardware

For a physical memory dump I would run a test on your HDD and your RAM. Reseat your RAM - in fact reseating the RAM and HDD would be the first thing I would do. I've also had it happen because of the lack of virtual memory, as odd as that sounds. IRQL can be something with the OS. Let me know what the next blue screen says.

Thanks!

-Q

Back
Top Bottom