Windows keeps restarting!!! Needs some help please!

s2todoroski

Beta member
Hey guys,

For some unknown reason my Laptop keeps restarting itself upon bootup.
When you turn it on, the bios loads, goes past it and then the windows background comes up with the moving loading bar. After 5 seconds of this my laptop restarts itself. It actually never reaches the windows user login window.

Since it's been restarting itself, the Windows DOS option screen comes up.

":ie. Last known good configuration, start windows normally, safe mode etc,
However if you select any of these options, windows just restarts itself on the loading screen.

The laptop is running XP (pretty sure its a SP3) and is an Asus X52S.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Or is it possible to retain all my files without losing them, with a fresh install of windows?

Appreciate some help! thanks guys
icon7.png

A few things could be happening. I would suggest first grabbing a bootable OS ( like linux), throwing it on a flash drive and booting from it. If you do this and it works you've narrowed it down to either your hard drive or software on the hard drive.

If you are planning on reinstalling windows, make sure you do NOT reformat the drive. this will cause a complete loss of data. Many times an option to "repair windows" will work and will not destroy your data.

Again my suggestion is to try to boot from a flash drive or external HD with an operating system. Please post back with your results. (note: on linux there are usually a few bootable diagnostic tools that may help you)

Back
Top Bottom