Windows Movie Maker Takes Forever to "Prepare Video."

Jake22

Baseband Member
Whenever I import video into Windows Movie Maker, it says "preparing video" on the bottom left and it takes FOREVER to load. Why does Windows Movie Maker need to do this and is there a way to disable this? It could sure save me a lot of time if I didn't have to wait for it to load!

System Specs: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9ghz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

windows movie maker is a useless peace of software. there are some free video editors that are much better and free.
i dont know to many free ones. i use a profsional editor. i use Liquid 7.
i think AVS Editor is free. it's a great software, way better then Movie maker.

You can't disable the function. If you're importing the video to edit, than it's splitting it into frames, and separating the audio. If you're exporting the video, then it's compiling the frames and combining the video/audio to a single file.

You may want to try AVS (never used it myself) as EchoNatek suggested and that may be a little faster.

For one thing, if you're still using "Windows Movie Maker" you need to upgrade to "Windows Live Movie Maker" as it is many times better, and still free.

Not everyone has access to paid software, especially when some of it is prohibitively expensive. I'm not at all impressed with the other free ones out there, and WLMM is good for the basic video output/rendering. I use it to finish work I design and produce in Adobe sometimes. It's a quick & dirty way to do efficient text and credits without ballooning the final product by an order of magnitude.

You may want to try AVS (never used it myself) as EchoNatek suggested and that may be a little faster.

If you don't mind an annoying watermark that practically prevents you from actually watching the video.
Windows Movie Maker is just about one of the most annoying software I've ever used. Something about free video editing just doesn't cut it for me.

Again, folks need to look at Windows Live Movie Maker. It's not intended to be an Adobe or Sony, but it does a fine job with all of the tasks it was designed to do, like this one.

I only posted again because the difference between the old WMM and WLMM are huge these days. Microsoft's really polished the new version for lighter video workloads.

I actually have Windows Live Movie Maker and not plane old Windows Movie Maker. Sorry for the mixup!

Whenever I import video into Windows Movie Maker, it says "preparing video" on the bottom left and it takes FOREVER to load. Why does Windows Movie Maker need to do this and is there a way to disable this? It could sure save me a lot of time if I didn't have to wait for it to load!

System Specs: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9ghz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

well there's your problem :D The Live one is pretty crap too IMHO. Can't remember the name of the free one I used to use, but It was leaps and bounds ahead. iMovie <3

Back
Top Bottom