Best AGP Graphics Card?

vistakid10

Baseband Member
Hey all, I'm new to the forum.

I've got an older system (not the one in my signature) which had a Sapphire Radeon X800 XT Platinum AGP graphics card in it. Sadly it has died on me, not really surprising after about 6 or so years' use (it's on eBay now as spares/repair) but I need to replace it as I have on-board video on this system. I'm not sure what to replace it with though as AGP graphics cards are a bit before my day if you like (I did not build this system, it got given to me a couple of months ago). Which AGP card would work well with an Athlon 64 3700+, 1GB DDR RAM and a 425W PSU? I don't mind if it's ATI or NVIDIA. I am looking along the lines of another Radeon X800 or possibly a GeForce 6600 or a 6800... are these the sort of lines I should be looking along? I'd like 256MB+ RAM ideally as I want to try and keep the PC as original as possible. The motherboard (which is a Gigabye K8VT800 Pro by the way) does also have PCI slots, but no PCI Express, only PCI and AGP, but I think AGP is faster than PCI if I remember correctly?

Thanks.

You're in the right family, but if you can get your hands on it, one of the fastest older gen AGP cards out there was the Radeon X1950 Pro.

That might be hard to find and a bit expensive, so fall back on the Radeon HD 4670 would be my next recommendation. It compares fairly well to the 1950 Pro, but the 1950 would definitely be preferable:

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

ATI Radeon HD 4670 review

Thanks for the fast response, will keep a look out for an X1950!

any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom