I have a question about my LAN

kg6nlb

Beta member
I don't know a whole lot about computers but the problem I am experiencing is everytime I go to get on my computer I have to reset my LAN. Sometimes I end up doing a hard reset and unplugging the power on my modem and the other thing can't remember what it is called but it splits the internet between my computer and my Xbox. Anyways I unplug all of the power and wait 30 seconds and restart the computer and it is ok after that, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your post is a little too vague... what do you mean by splits the internet?

My setup at home is a little more complex than most users would normally have, but here's how it looks, if you want to see how mine is done.

Cable Modem -> pfsense PC Router -> Switch -> WiFi Access Point -OR- Home PCs

Most folks would have their network look like this:

Cable/DSL modem -> PCs or
Cable/DSL Modem -> Switch -> PCs & Wireless

If you have a PC set up to do the actual internet passthrough, that is that the cable modem or DSL modem goes into a PC, and then comes out of that same PC to your XBox, that might be one reason why it's failing.

Like I said, need more background info on how your network is set up.

internet goes from what I understand from the cable modem to the router to the pc. The cable modem was supplied to us with our service from Comcast and the router is a Dynex from Bestbuy. Let me know if you need any other info. The Xbox has a Ethernet cable split at the router also.

So in your network, it looks something like this then:

Cable Modem -> Router -> PC and XBox?

Yep,

Now on to the problem -

How often does this happen? Once a day? Five times a day? After four hours of play?
When the internet goes down, does it go down on both the computer and xbox? Have you checked both of them (at the same time)?
When your internet goes down next time take a look at your cable modem. Make sure all of the lights are green.

-Q

Really hadn't tried to check the Xbox, I don't play that often. Next time the issue happens which should be shortly I'll check the Xbox also, thanks. As far as how often it happens, it usually happens everytime I put the computer to sleep, I'll come back and hour or so, sometimes earlier and it will happen, sometimes I have to disable then enable it sometimes twice to get it back up and running.

As far as the lights on the modem they are all green and lit when it happens, which makes me believe it's the router, I was thinking that I could swith the outputs on the router to connections 3&4 instead of 1&2 like they are on now and see what happens, maybe there is a problem internally with the switching? Couldn't hurt.

Yep, you can try it. Doesn't matter what ports they're plugged in to.

Next time it goes down open a command prompt and do

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

See if that gets you back on. Try making your computer not sleep at all... and see if it happens when you come back to your computer an hour or so later.

-Q

Well it actually just happened and I didn't put the pc to sleep yet. When it happened I turned on the Xbox and it connected just fine, came back to the pc and still won't get on the internet. Switched the connections to 3&4 and reset the router and back up it came. The lights on the cable modem were all green and the (link) light occasionally blinks. On the router it has 7 lights on it, power, system, 1-4 & WAN. When it happened the power light was green and on solid, the system light is green and steadily blinks at the same speed, the WAN light blinks intermitantly and blinks fast when it does same as the connection lights. The light that corresponds to the PC connection is on right now but the one that goes to the Xbox is off, maybe it only comes on when you are using the internet? I'll see if it keeps happening.

Yes, it only comes on when a device is connected to it and turned on.

Alright, cool - so your xbox works but your computer doesn't. However, you said when the internet stops you can restart the computer and it works again. It could be that the reason the xbox worked was because you turned it on after the internet stopped working.

Anyway, try the ipconfig release/renew next time it breaks. If that doesn't work, try to do a

ping 127.0.0.1

And see if it replies or not.

Just to clear things up:
When the internet goes down, you reset the modem and router to fix it? Do you restart the computer at all? I want to see if I have things right.

There's an activity light on your router where you plugged in your computer. Does THAT one turn off when the internet stops? How about the activity light on the modem where you plugged the router in to it?

-Q

Well so far so good, it's been a few days and haven't once had to reset the LAN, so I'm assuming that the router has been the cause this whole time, so when it starts giving me problems again, it will be time for a new one. Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom