building new computer, any suggestions?

I'm not opening the links, just looking at them. I did click the HDD link because I saw it was 250gb. You can get a much bigger one for 90$... MUCH. Look at newegg.com, not just tiger direct. In fact, I only use newegg.com. Plus that HDD is PATA. IDE is dead. Get a SATA drive.

Woah woah woah! What happened? Did all the SATA manufacturers die and HDDs are scarce?

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY5000ENC-NRSN 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I just bought that for 50$ a week ago.. all HDDs are expensive now.. Why? Rofl.. maybe you can't get them for cheaper now. I have no idea what happened. Hope someone can explain it ;) I'm gonna go look at some technlogical news.

BTW, look in to Windows 7 pro. Can remote desktop and much easier to network. And you get virtual XP to play with :) If you ever VPN in somewhere and need to remote in ... you'll be useless with 7 home. Also, you'll need a CD drive. You only have one IDE slot.. I suggest you don't use it. Get a SATA HDD and CD/DVD drive.

-Q

would i be able to put my cd drive and hard drive in the one ide slot? what do u mean by not use it

Western Digital WD5000AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200RPM, 16MB

I'd get a decent Intel I-3 processor.

I'd also suggest getting Windows 7 64 bit, not the 32.

I disagree, the i3 2100 won't be as good as the Phenom II X4 955 in this case. Single threaded apps on the i3 will own, so if that's all you do, then yes, the i3 hands down, but in multithreaded tasks, the Phenom II is faster.

However I DO agree with the Windows 7 part, 32 bit is dead, don't buy it anymore.

Og, I dont like being called out!!!! YOUR LUCKY that you are better looking than me and tougher than me, or I'd be better looking than you and tougher than YOU!!! LOL just kidding!!! I'm not too fimiliar with Phenom II yet. I will go and look it up and see what I think. Maybe I'll get one next time I build a computer!

wat?

lol

Phenom II is an older CPU tech than the i3, and in most cases, the i3 wins on single threaded workloads, the architecture is just very good at it. Phenom II is several years old, and AMD's been relying on it for a while. It's a fine processor architecture, just not very fast compared to Intel's latest and greatest. In this case though, the Phenom II, since it has more "true" cores than the i3 (the i3's are dual core, sometimes with hyperthreading to make them "look" like they have four cores, but it's really only 2 with what is essentially 1/4 more per core count (i.e. 2 normal cores, two 1/4th cores)

Highly threaded workloads will excel on the Phenom II since it has more resources to throw at the work, but the i3 does exceptionally well in workloads where the CPU only has one or two things to do at a time.

Back
Top Bottom