Computing University Course?

JosephDuffy

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm currently 17 and looking at University next year (despite the costs!). I've looked through the various courses, from Computer Science to Ethical Hacking and Software Engineering. Because I feel my true passion and 'skill' lies in Software Programming, I am looking at Software Engineering.
However, I'm a little lost. I don't really know what to look for. I'm looking through various courses with what seems to be a huge variety in course material. Some include specific languages, such as Java or something from the C family. I'm hoping to do either programming for a large company in something like C#/C++, or the same sort of thing on a web server, but NOT a web designer :)
So, I ask you, what would you recommend I look out for? I'm guessing some people will be able to give some ideas or recommendations? At the moment, when I'm looking at courses, I'm ruling them out if they seem a little wishy-washy, such as web design, as I feel they won't be quite what I'm looking for, even though it falls under the same name.
Any feedback would be great, I'm just looking to be on a really fun course that will bag me a great job (even though such perfect course won't exist) :)

You're on the right lines but I would choose software engineering if I was you over Computer science for the area you are looking to work.

Short advice - get a straight CS degree. Any decent one should involve a decent amount of programming and you'll be able to narrow down your skillset later in your choices of modules. Best thing to do is to look at the modules that are included in the degree, the optional / required ones and see if you'll like them. Generally speaking, a computer science degree will involve a mixture of programming, maths, perhaps touch on the more business side of things, databases, web development (not necessarily design), that sort of thing.

In terms of languages, don't worry too much about the specific choice. If you learn to program competently in one language you should be able to pick up another similar one pretty quickly - learning the principles takes much longer than learning the syntax.

\agree

I kid came to me last week and super excited to meet someone that works in the field and knows what they're talking about (I live in a small town... 6k pop :) ) I told him to shoot for a straight CS degree as well. It will expose you to everything. You're going to learn much more from experience than you will by taking a class, so it's better to specialize after college.

That may be taken the wrong way.. you'll learn a lot in college, but you'll get more "Tools in your tool chest", so to speak, with experience. There's a M$ program out called Dynamics AX. I worked in it for a year and plan to go back... when I'm ready :) They designed a programming language specific to it, X++, but with exposure to most it's not much different. Plus AX pays the big bucks :) We paid a dude consulting for a company I worked for $350 an hour. Hard to believe (that was in houston) but with 5 years of experience that's what you're worth. And you can work from home.

-Q

Thanks for the replies.
I've been advised by a friend of a friend in the sort of job I would like to do that Software Engineering was the right idea, and I thought I had made that decision in my OP.
I'm now looking at Major in Software Engineering and a Minor in Computer Science, but I don't know if I'd meet the grades (if you need between grades to do a major/minor).
You've given me some things to think about, thanks :)

You may well find the content of those courses similar with just different titles, so check before you commit to something as I said earlier. I can't really comment on what grades you need for major / minor because I'm in the UK and I'm not quite sure how it correlates to across the pond!

Back
Top Bottom