NEW USER! Can someone help me with this build

sipushkush

Beta member
Hey guys i have the option to purchase this computer at $300 i was just wondering if you guys think its worth buying it or how much it is actually worth.

i want a computer to run games like World of Warcraft with settings on high and was wondering if this computer can handle it.

Here are the specs

• ASUS P5KC Motherboard
  • Built in IDE/SATA Raid Controller (J-Micron)
  • Highpoint-Technologies SATA RocketRaid 2320 RAID Controller
  • Three (3) 320 GB Seagate Hard-Drives, currently in RAID 5
  • 2 DIMM (2x2GB) G.SKILL (4GB Total) Low Latency RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Ran Call of Duty Black Ops, Bad Company 2, Far Cry 2, and others on full settings.
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Processor (overclockable through bios and ASUS's N.O.S. to 3.4+GHZ)
  • ASUS QuieTrack DVD-RW, Lightscribe Drive
  • Floppy Disk Drive
  • Antec Black Case with Window on Left
  • Blue LED Accient Lighting, Blue LED Fans
  • Large Exhaust Fan on top
  • Two Medium Intake Fans in-front, through HDD's caddy bay area

Whoever said that the 8800GT can run COD:BO and BF:BC2 on full settings is lying. My HD5770 with overdrive enabled can barely do BF:BC2 on max. It might just handle WoW on fair settings. Like I say my 5770 only manages high-tweaked ultra and only at about 50fps. The RAID setup is useful, parity RAID array will protect against data loss.

I'd buy it for $300 (like, £160? jeez.) any day of the week though, even as parts it's worth that. It's probably a fairly capable gaming computer too, just don't expect to be playing Crysis on it.

as a side note I run WoW quite comfortably at 'good' settings on this:

Athlon 64 x2 4600+
2x Gigabyte 7600GT (256MB each, 512MB total) in SLI
2GB DDR333
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

as a reference, the 8800GT is about twice as good as my SLI setup probably.

Thanks for the info darkseeker just wondering how good it will run wow. and i just checked it part by part on ebay came out to like 505$ and when and if i get this computer can i add 2x4gb of ram and a way better video card? or can i do that double video card where you add 2 video cards on 1 mobo?

if i wanted could i add a 2gb video card on that motherboard? and 8gb more ram

bum[

Video memory is largely irrelevant over 1GB for 90% of people: the most you're probably ever going to need is 1.5GB on a GPU. Especially with the Core 2 Quad. You should try to match your hardware in capability so as to avoid bottlenecks and wasted money. As for RAM, your board's maximum memory capacity is 4GB if you're using DDR3, or 8GB if you're using DDR2. These days, putting 8GB of DDR2 in would cost a fair wadge, I'd recommend just sticking with the 4GB for now. I'm not sure if your board supports SLI, it only mentions CrossFire. I was going to suggest getting another 8800GT and setting up SLI rather than buying a newer, more expensive video card; but since I can't guarantee it would work I recommend looking at NVIDIA GTX 460 video cards.

Before Cataclysm that build would probably have done alright - but the game engine has been updated and is more graphic intensive I find. (My macbook used to do High settings at 60FPS static, since cata I struggle for 60FPS on good settings.) You'd probably be looking at something in the region of the GTX 580.

Back
Top Bottom