PSU quality and upgrade question...please help

nbrikha

In Runtime
My setup is at the bottom. I don't really like the PSU I have now. I bought it just about three years ago with the intent of upgrading it later. I want to get a second 5770 soon, no other reason than I want to run more enthusiastic settings on my games, and I'd really like to upgrade my PSU at the same time. Now I'm seeing a lot of different PSUs and the more research I do, the more questions I end up with then answers. So here's the parameters I want/need: 550-700 Watts, modular, 80 Plus Bronze certified, something name brand, and can support up to three video cards.

I'm adding only a second card, but down the line I may want a third. Here are some I've been looking at. I just dont know if the little things are right. Like, do I want one or multiple 12V rails, is there enough PCIe power cables, on and on. Thoughts?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply
Newegg.com - Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-520 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

BTW, that Corsair Professional PSU is probably my front runner. It's a bit expensive for my taste, I was planning on spending 100 or less on this PSU. But it's everything I want, I just want to know if it's what I need!

It is my understanding that multiple 12v rails are used for multiple processors or high wattage processors. One should suffice if you are currently using one. Also, your wattage is the key factor for pci-e. In your situation, you will want two 6-pin pci-e connectors for both graphics cards you will have.

That professional series would suffice though.

Back
Top Bottom