%Vdeo memory

crengine

Beta member
Hi there.So, this will be my first post...about my graphics card, video memory etc.I have a question about video memory percentage(%).I went through some benchmark tests and see this in a log : my video memory is used up to 35% in big games, like gta4 or crysis ("2047MB virtual memory installed, 35 percent of memory in use" - but I don't have 2 GB of video memory, I only have 1--> ati radeon 5450.).I just want to know if I can use more video memory, like 50% or 70% instead of only 35%.Or maybe is fixed at 35% and I can't change it..:?

Thanks for your help.

about having a laugh among of memory is for an example: better for specific games with very high textures for alot of objects at the same time.
another example would be resolution. having more monitors at once playing a game.

about that it is using more memory then what you have in your graphic card: your ram is also a part of what a game needs in memory to run. so what you are seeing there might be a combination of your VRAM and RAM. (but i im not sure)

Thanks for your help EchoNatek.You clarified the things for me.I was thinking to make use of more than 35% video memory used on my monitor( only one ) and improve the gameplay ( I mean I have 1 GB video memory and 3 GB RAM.You say it might be a combination of RAM and VRAM.But 35% is kind of low, don't you think?I want to use more VRAM and, if I can, RAM to run the games smoothly).Would that be possible?
Thanks again.

If a game is only using that amount of RAM, you can't do anything about it, except increase settings. If its already at max, and it is running smoothly and still using a small percentage, that is a good thing.
It's not going to increase graphical quality if its using up more RAM unintentionally.

VRAM is virtual RAM. Its streaming memory from your hard drive, whilst also using your standard system RAM, and graphics RAM.

yeah kage is right on this one. dont worry about it.

more VRAM = better performance in specific cases, mostly when having more monitors. personally i dont care about the Vram as long i have 1GB.

ohh and BTW: VRAM is "video read only memory" so that would be the RAM on the graphic card.
but you are right about the "Virtual memory"

Back
Top Bottom