Hard Drive Prices - Bad Times...

Teris

Baseband Member
I've been watching today (certainly in the UK) hard drive prices for 1tb+ drives jump up about £20-40! It's madness. A little water and everything goes crazy. I'm not going to pay £120 for a 2tb Hitatchi 7200 drive...

Anyone know of any reasonable priced 1tb+ drives *floating* around?

Having watched the cost per megabyte, then gigabyte, of storage fall almost continually for the past 30 years, I find it rather amusing that someone would find $190 an unreasonable price to pay for 2TB of storage. I realize that it's hard to swallow when prices were lower and recently spiked up but I personally consider (even with the current price spike) HDD prices to be extremely reasonable. I paid $500 for my 1st HDD, a 20MB Seagate ST-225, in 1986 so today's HDD prices are very reasonable in my mind.

I would generally stay away from the higher capacity drives, especially if the drives have more platters to increase the amount of space.
The fewer the platters, the safer you are from a damaged hard drive I would say.

I would much rather span data over a couple/few drives than keep all my data to one drive, as an example.

HA! I remember back in 2004/5 buying an IDE 250Gb hard drive for £120. So have I been a little too much of a recluse this week and have missed something in the world that has made this happen?

Having watched the cost per megabyte, then gigabyte, of storage fall almost continually for the past 30 years, I find it rather amusing that someone would find $190 an unreasonable price to pay for 2TB of storage. I realize that it's hard to swallow when prices were lower and recently spiked up but I personally consider (even with the current price spike) HDD prices to be extremely reasonable. I paid $500 for my 1st HDD, a 20MB Seagate ST-225, in 1986 so today's HDD prices are very reasonable in my mind.

I don't quite go back that far, but I agree. What really gets me is all the people going apeshit over the costs of SSDs. Give me a break! We've had it GOOD with platter based drives for the past decade. SSDs that do 120GB for under $200 is downright amazing, and it'll only get better, but I laugh when people post like this as well. Boo Hoo. Go back and buy a 20GB drive for $400 and see if that changes your tune. If only time travel were possible!

Back
Top Bottom