Discerning Necessary Programs?

Ensis

Beta member
Hey, I'm now to this forum, and for that matter, computing in general. I won't say I'm technologically illiterate -- I can do basic things. I have an HP Laptop, with 3GB RAM, and a 250GB hard drive. My question is about the programs I have installed. I opened the Control Panel recently, to look at installed programs, and noticed that I have a lot. If possible, could someone help me figure out which ones are necessary, and which ones I can remove. As of right now I have the following:

• Adobe AIR
  • Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
  • Adobe Photoshop CS5
  • Adobe Reader 9.4.6 MUI
  • Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5
  • Akamai Net Session Interface
  • AVG 2011
  • Cisco EAP-FAST Module
  • Cisco LEAP Module
  • Cisco PEAP Module
  • Coby Media Manager (For MP3 Player)
  • EdenEternal (MMO)
  • Energy Star Digital Logo
  • Google Chrome
  • HP Power Manager
  • HP Quick Launch
  • HP Setup
  • HP Software Framework
  • HP Support Assistant
  • HP Wireless Assistant
  • Intel Control Center
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
  • Intel Rapid Storage Technology
  • Java(TM) 6 Update 25
  • LightScribe System Software
  • Maplestory (MMO)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
  • Microsoft Silvelight
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2005
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x64 (Four Times)
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 x86 (Three Times)
  • Nexon Game Manager
  • Open Office.org 3.2
  • Pando Media Booster
  • Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
  • Registry Mechanic
  • RtVOsd
  • Synaptics Device Pointing Manager
  • TweetDeck
  • Visual Studio 2008 Redistributables
  • Windows Live Essentials
  • Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant
  • Windows Live Sync
  • WinRAR 4.00 Beta 3 (64-Bit)

My main question is this. Which of these files can I remove without damaging the computer? I thank all who answer, but I'd prefer if I got educated answers. In addition, there are some files here that I installed and use regularly, and won't remove.

All of them except for system drivers (anything marked ATI/AMD, nVidia or Intel and for laptops, Synaptics for the touchpad driver(s)) and Antivirus. Programs are not essential parts of a computer, so if you don't use them, uninstall them. Other than the ones I mentioned a moment ago, they can all go.

This is all subjective, It depends on what you do on your computer, If you read / open alot of PDF files then you need Adobe reader, likewise if you don't edit photos then Photoshop is not required.

I would go back to add/remove programs and look to see when a program was last used, If it has not been used for a while then unintstall. Make a note of what you uninstall and when though.

As mentioned above software programs should not stop your PC from working so worst case scenario you may end up with a file type (eg PDF) that won't open etc.

Daniel Hunt
Stroudy IT
www.stroudyit.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom