Vague in Linux File system

hosseinz8050

Beta member
Hello.
I am confusing a lot.
I am reading about file system but there is a fundamental question that I can not find answer for it.
We know that when a storage media is formatted (For example as EXT3 FS) there is a several structure such as superblock structure and operation is created and stored on the storage media.
But things that amazing me is the file system that exist in the kernel of linux OS that is shown in the below.
What is a difference between file system in the storage media and file system exist in the Linux kernel????
Thanks.
Question.png

Hi,

Can you give me some more information or possibly an example of what you are talking about. I am not sure of what file system you are saying that the Kernel has?

@wmorri If you right click on the broken image in Op's post, (copy url, open in new tab, etc) you'll see what he means.

@hosseinz8050 The Kernal File System depends on how you format the partition. If you format the Linux partition as ext4, then that would be considered the "Kernal File System". Concerning the removable media file system: When you purchase a new USB Flash device or Removable Media device, it's typically formatted using the FAT32 file system. Unless, of course, you change that by formatting in a Linux OS, Windows OS, or Mac OS. I know for Windows, when you choose to format the device, it will default to the existing File system, FAT32, requiring you to manually change it to NTFS. Not familiar with Linux or Mac though.

Back
Top Bottom