cant get internet thru ethernet cable!

hobby_guy

Baseband Member
Hi guys now I need help with Dell Optiplex GX260 and running XP I connect the computer with a Ethernet cable but it won't connect can anybody help. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi guys now I need help with Dell Optiplex GX260 and running XP I connect the computer with a Ethernet cable but it won't connect can anybody help. Thanks in advance. :)

Is the NIC showing link lights?
If not see if the internet adapter is disabled.

NIC + network interface card. There is usually LED lights where the ethernet cable plugs in to your computer. That is what Kgury is refering to. Also, I might add: what are you plugging the other end of the ethernet cable into?

NIC + network interface card. There is usually LED lights where the ethernet cable plugs in to your computer. That is what Kgury is refering to. Also, I might add: what are you plugging the other end of the ethernet cable into?

Ok well is red and in the other end into a at&t modem on local Ethernet plug 1 and I also try the broadband but nothing happen

When you plug in the network cable, does the network icon (looks like two screens one behind the other) in the system tray by the clock show as connected, limited or no connectivity or disconnected?

If this doesn't appear in the system tray go to Control Panel (make sure it's classic view) then Network Connections and it will be in there. If it doesn't appear at all in Network Connections, even as disconnected then you should reinstall your driver.

the other end into a at&t modem on local Ethernet plug 1 and I also try the broadband but nothing happen

Is this just a basic DSL modem or does it come with built-in router functionality as well? All of the basic modems AT&T gives out in my area require a dial-up type of dialer to authenticate you before you can use the internet. If there is a router built in, or you have this connected to a router that's in between you and the modem you wouldn't need that, but it sounds like you are missing the authentication utility.

Is this just a basic DSL modem or does it come with built-in router functionality as well? All of the basic modems AT&T gives out in my area require a dial-up type of dialer to authenticate you before you can use the internet. If there is a router built in, or you have this connected to a router that's in between you and the modem you wouldn't need that, but it sounds like you are missing the authentication utility.
It's the at&t that I don't need to connect the router.

Back
Top Bottom