Is my hard drive bust?

tonym5493

Beta member
I have a BUFFALO HD-LBU2 DriveStation (External Hard Drive)... now my problem is this. It runs; when it's idle, it works. I've scanned it for errors, no problems. It's seen as active and healthy- pretty much everything a working hard drive does. I can even read from it. However...
When I try to copy onto it- especially large files- the computer stops recognizing it (saying the device can speed up if connected to a Hi Speed USB port), and the hard drive seems to "restart". When it restarts tho, the computer doesn't see it until I reconnect it... Now i can't seem to pin point the problem. As normally when hard drives pack up, they tend to have problems being read, and so forth...???

Now I know it's not the USB port, as it works fine with other USB devices- and I don't think it's the cable, as i have tried two different cables. But like now, i've left it and it's run fine for the past 15 min- i've tried copying to it, and BAM, it restarts.... Is my hard drive bust, or is it my computer giving signals it needs a redo?

Any help would be appreciated...

have you tried on another computer? that would be a great way to narrow the problem possibility's.

Ye i have, still does the same... however, i may have solved it- i've created a seperate partition within the drive, and copying to that partition seems to have no problems. So I giving a go at reassigning the main drive through drive manager (ie re-partitioning it and all that)..

I have a BUFFALO

Found your problem.

No, seriously. These things are crap. Get a different unit if it's not too late, or check out the numerous user forum posts on their own support sites. We avoid these like the plague.

Found your problem.

No, seriously. These things are crap. Get a different unit if it's not too late, or check out the numerous user forum posts on their own support sites. We avoid these like the plague.

I know they're crap- but i bought it because it was like £60 as opposed to the superior model... it's not to late to send back i suppose- I've always preferred Seagate or Western Digital

You can always buy a standard hard drive and then just buy an enclosure. No muss, no fuss, works when you plug it in, and stops when you unplug it.

Back
Top Bottom