Harddrive clicking

fauxto12345

Beta member
I have 4 hard drives in my system, all Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TBs. Two are setup in RAID to mirror, and two are setup striped with my OS. All four of them have started to click constantly throughout my computing. It's one of the most annoying things I've had to deal with honestly. They did it on my old build intermittently, but do it all the time on my relatively new 4 month old build. When I turn my computer completely off, all 4 drives click off in succession it sounds like. Do I just have bad luck with all 4 drives going around the same time (they were purchased the same day), or is there something else in my system that the drives could be conflicting with?

Okay so I installed the program, but when I go to "Basic Tests" all options but Short Generic and Long Generic will work, every other test says "unavailable." After I ran both tests it just said "test passed." Not really too sure where to go from here as the drives click still and clicked even more throughout the whole test

Some hard drives click louder than others, so its possible that your drives are fine but click loud. Did you run the long test on each drive?

Download Hiren <~ Download, burn to CD or set up a bootable UFD, then go into DOS Programs, Hard Disk Tools, go to the last menu, #5 run GWSCAN. Test each drive with an Extended Test. If that test doesn't find anything wrong, there's nothing wrong with your hard drives.

I've known brand new Seagates to be loud and I knew one that even made a beeping type of sound but worked fine. That's the main reason I don't ever buy them. Western Digital drives are silent brand new.

Back
Top Bottom