Question about the Bible

Is that written into the Bible, I mean exactly like that?
The message from various religions isn't clear, (and to be honest it's made less clear by the Catholic church especially.)

Some churches say that you have to live a good life, you have to follow the various commandments and messages of the books in the Bible and all being well, if you're a genuinely good person then you'll go to heaven.
whilst others seem to say that you don't need to follow the bible exactly, or all it's commandments, just be a good person.

Whilst the Catholic religion goes with the repentance theme, do what you like whilst you're alive, then say you're sorry before you die and everything will be fine.
Without wanting to get Godwin's law involved too much, this supports the idea that Hitler is up there in heaven sitting right next to God because he said Sorry just before he died? (ignore the fact that he committed suicide, which is a mortal sin, you can't say sorry before committing a sin, and you can't say sorry when you're dead.)

also reminds me of a joke.
little boy wants a bike, so he preys that he'll get given a bike at easter, but he doesn't get one, so he prays for a bike for his birthday, but still doesn't get one, so he preys for a bike for Christmas, and STILL doesn't get one...

then he figures that's not how religion works. so he steals a bike then asks God for forgiveness.
Yeah, it doesn't say it exactly... Which is why there are so many different religions.

I like that last story, haha, it's like the Huckleberry Finn story. Huck's aunts told him to pray, so he prayed everyday for a fishing hook.

The Bible ? It is just a book of ancient stories and fables. It stopped when education advanced and intelligence overtook superstition and ignorance.

The Bible ? It is just a book of ancient stories and fables. It stopped when education advanced and intelligence overtook superstition and ignorance.
Ignorance, speak of the devil!

I thought I mentioned I didn't want any arguments in this thread? Let's keep this thread to the mature.

I've recently had a little think about the possibility of a diety, and I thought i'd share what I was thinking. I don't believe there is a heaven, or a hell, or a god that we are indebted to worship. There is however, a chance than an onmi-potent entity does exist that has the ability to create and destroy universes. The genderless, non-humanoid entity would not be bound by any physical law or have any means of communication with humanity. It would be possible that this entity would govern what happens on earth and every other planet, and this planet just happens to be the one most suitable to have life start evolving on it. Tending the planet not it's inhabitants. I think it's implausible to assume that there is an afterlife, since any entity capable of creating such a vast and powerful thing as the cosmos is hardly going to care what happens on one of the millions of solar systems it created.

another interesting question is why Adam and Eve have belly buttons on all paintings... take as much time as you need to think this one through.. Sorry not starting a debate, but I thought it was pretty funny

another interesting question is why Adam and Eve have belly buttons on all paintings... take as much time as you need to think this one through.. Sorry not starting a debate, but I thought it was pretty funny

And of course why the snake doesn't have legs... ;)

Ignorance, speak of the devil!

I thought I mentioned I didn't want any arguments in this thread? Let's keep this thread to the mature.

Hi superman,

Welcome to education, which obviously you have not been too involved in.
To insinuate that somebody with a far more educated background than you is "immature" is the height of ignorance.

When you raise a topic that is highly controversial, you can expect a variety of replies, some for and some against. And as for the Devil, that reference is as much nonsense as the guy depicted in the Bible and if you have an atom of intelligence you should know this. Both mythical aspects of human superstition are the same - total rubbish. A useless prop to lean on in times of trouble - it is a load of crap but it gives people hope.

If you think of the massive amount of suffering in the world which this wonderful "God" takes no notice of, then perhaps the message will sink in, or does this "God" take pleasure in human suffering ?

But I accept your gullible and childish views and hope you have a nice day. I would rather believe in science than ancient mythical crap any day.

When you are in trouble nobody is going to help you but humans, Divine forces are confined in the human mind. When the Pope got shot, who helped him ? God - no way, it was human surgeons that saved him.

Confucius say :-
Man who believes in fairies, tells nice stories.

Haha, I saw this on reddit the other day.

When you raise a topic that is highly controversial, you can expect a variety of replies, some for and some against.
The problem isn't that you replied against (at least not in my book) the problem is you made a claim whilst citing 0 sources and giving 0 reasons, logical or otherwise, as to why your claim was true.

To insinuate that somebody with a far more educated background than you is "immature" is the height of ignorance.
Unfortunately your claimed level of educational prowess was severely lacking in that post for the above reason... Anyone can write that they're retired and have a handful of qualifications on their profile. In any forum you'll be judged on the quality of your posts, not the claims you make. It always makes me extremely sceptical when people seem to be showing off about their education. If you write good posts (not just in here, anywhere) then they should speak about your high level of education for yourself.

If indeed you do have a more educated background than most here, it would be good if you showed that by backing up said claims with at least some form of argument. If you were part of academia for as long as you claim then I'm surprised you haven't got into the habit of doing that!

Without such claims, your statement is just as valid as me saying "Durr, the earth is shaped like a banana and all people are actually big hammers walking around with delusions."

There are many, many intelligent people I know who believe in God. And unless you're claiming to be more intelligent than this lot, I wouldn't start throwing around claims such as "if you have an atom of intelligence you should know this."

Back
Top Bottom