Memory is constantly dropping down

ihato

Solid State Member
Why is my free memory constantly decreasing? A year ago, I had 50GB. Then after 4 months without checking my free memory, I had 9GB. After that:
8.5, 7.6, 5.2, 3.3, 2.1, 1.89, 1.77, 1.56, 1.21, 912MB; Then I deleted some movie
1.9GB, 1.81, 1.5, and now 1.33GB.
And I suppose It will continue that. How to stop this?

Info:
Com: Compaq Mini 110c-1100 laptop
Max Mem: 149GB
Users: 3

And by the way:
I'm a new user to this forum, and I am not a computer genius, so please don't offend me if I don't know something.

check your download folder. you might have alot of things in there you need to delete.
go to your user folder and then the folder called downloads

you can also emtey your recycle bin.

another tip will be right click on your c:\ drive and choose properties. and then desk cleanup. it will find alot of useless junk you can delete.

I checked both.
Downloads: 59.2MB
Recycle Bin: 0b

I have counted all folders and files in C disk , which is the only one I have, in Exel, and the sum is always the same. 106GB.

By the way, memory is now 1.30GB. Checked memory again, by hand, and it is again 106GB.

You also need to do a full virus and malware scan. If you aren't already using it, download Microsoft Security Essentials, and install it and run a full scan. Also, get a copy of Malware Bytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and run the full scans from each of those. If you don't have enough free space to install Malware Bytes and SUPER, you can use them from a USB drive, just leave it plugged in and install to the drive letter for the drive.

If you want to see exactly what is taking up space on your drive, get a copy of SpaceSniffer, find lost disk space the easy way. and it'll show you what is being used and where.

@og
I have scanned the disk with Advanced SystemCare, and I have fixed many problems. But still nothing.

Never mind that. SpaceSniffer proved wrong:
My thinking as a computer rookie is that a program called RstIdle is doing this. He always comes back even doe I always kill him. It takes more than 45CPU, and its completely useless. I haven't seen it anywhere else, and when I kill it, I only release my processor from this torment. In fact, I'm going to make a topic itself about it.

But back on topic. I will try those too to see if they can fix something.

EDIT:

I don't recall how XP worked, but I'm thinking that System restore points are chewing up some of your space. Using the Disk Cleanup utility that Echo mentioned, there should be a second tab in that program. Click the tab, then there will be a button to delete all but the most recent restore point. That should free up some space for you.

Ok, I found some folders that are taking a lot of memory.

System Rollback Data <-33.8GB
Zwarning <-10.1GB

1. The first folder is a system recovery i think. I don't need this.

2. This folder I created myself to put files and folders that are broken. I never knew it was this much because when you use properties on them, it says that its 0b. SpaceSniffer found that.
Now, In it , I got these two folders that takes alot of memory

Games <- 2.2GB
911dbd314056934c865c
----e96603303c27d58ce12c
--------USEFULL PROGRAMS <- 7.9GB

Both these folders has access denied. Whenever I try to open it, I get an "error" message "Access Denied".

How to clear the 1st and how to "brake" and open the 2nd folder?
By the way:
Because these folders are unaccessable they can't be moved, so I had to use unlocker 1.9.1 for that.

I have only 80KB left.
Should I delete this system restore files?
How can it be that the memory is decreasing because of it, when its turned off?
How to run system restore? It isnt in the start menu.

Back
Top Bottom