Help!!!!

Quatty

Beta member
Hey guys i have a problem

I received a new rooter a few days back, ive set it up by using a wired connection. And then i tried connecting on the internet using my wireless laptop, it says 'limited connection' i have no idea what to do, but my ps3 and iphone work fine on the internet. Its a thomson router, help please :(

Hi,

The first thing that I would recommend is that you do a power cycle. This means you shutdown your computer unplug the power from the router, and modem. Wait 30 seconds once everything is shutdown, then plug in the modem. Wait for it to be fully started then plug in the router again wait till it it fully stated then start your computer. See if that works, if not we can try some different solutions.

If a power cycle does not work then it could be a incorrectly entered WEP key, if you go to the network connections section from control panel, then right click on your wireless network connection and select properties. Go to your saved wireless networks and remove it.

This will allow you to search for and add your wireless network again, enter the correct WEP key, if this does not work try resetting your wireless key on the router page (you will then need to re-enter on your other devices such as PS3 etc)

If all else fails you could try changing the wireless channel.

Does your wireless card connect to other wireless networks? Are you within range of your Router, if you are a long way from the router signal strenght could be a issue?

Daniel Hunt
Stroudyit
www.stroudyit.co.uk
support@stroudyit.co.uk

Go to Start>Run and type in CMD - hit enter
Type this in

ipconfig /release
(hit enter, then put this in)
ipconfig /renew
(hit enter)

^^That's ipconfig(space)/release and space/renew

Upon renewing, Windows will let you know if you're security key is wrong.
If you're out of range you don't get an IP address when you renew.
If you DO get an IP address when you renew, compare it to the IP on your desktop - are they in the same range?

Post your IP addresses here if you're not sure. To view your IP addresses go to Start>Run and type in CMD again. Type in
ipconfig
and hit enter. Look for the IPv4.

-Q

Back
Top Bottom