Copied 227GB to 1TB drive and 1TB drive filled up 100%?

gmb1994

Solid State Member
Using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier (from Hiren's BootCD), I began copying 227GB of a 500GB drive (containing Windows Vista + documents + 9GB HP restore partition) onto a freshly bought and formatted (NTFS) 1TB WD drive. After a few hours, the entire 1TB WD drive indicated it was full and Unstoppable Copier said it still had more files to copy. How can 227GB take up all 1TB of the WD drive? Should I reformat the drive and use different copy software?

Is there any particular reason why you can't just copy the files from within Windows or Linux itself? I've copied several gigabytes (800+) of data across consumer hard drives like this from within Windows with no problem.

The only thing I can think of is if the copying software was doing more than just a file copy. If it tried to copy the partition info as well, and started to fill up the drive based on the 500 GB drive instead. Either way, it doesn't make much sense in either case.

i'm using Mini WindowsXp so it defaults to TeraCopy/TeraMove, which is good for me. Additionally, when I tried to reformat the drive, HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool by HDDGuru is reporting the 1TB WD drive as 1,000Gb and the 500GB Samsung 502IL as 7,378,697,612.3GB ... so, not sure what's going on there

After navigating folders in Windows Vista a bit, I realized that Vista uses A LOT of junction points. I'm guessing that the reason 227GB 'expanded' to over 1TB is that Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier was probably just following, and copying, all those junction points as if they were actual unique folders rather than redirects.

Back
Top Bottom