Help switching parts between computers

optimusmikey

Beta member
Well my Grandparents have 2 obsolete computers I love old computers but one has a bad psu and one a bad hdd one is Windows 98 hdd with XP installed on it legally and one is from 2001 and one from 1998 and Im putting the 1998 hdd in the 2001 computer now the hdd has XP on it I got it booted up each time it keeps giving be the big blue screen but its so fast I cant read it but I was thinking since it has a built in Nvidia gpu that maybe it had something to do with not having the proper drivers and I only need to have the archaic computers working for like a day just to transfer floppy disk data to dvd/cd because an old sony camera we had used floppy disks to take pictures on and our external floppy is crap or could I mount the hdd externally but keep all the data and the os intact? Or could I swap psus or would that fry the old one? My Grandparents want it done and it has to be XP because of some programs she uses for it

I have 2 computers I have to swap parts one from 1998 and one from 2001 one with a bad psu one with a bad hdd and I swap hard drives but it keeps blue screening

You can't just swap a hard drive from two systems from that era. The result is exactly what you're getting. If you move the hard drive to a new system, especially with XP or older, you'll have to reinstall the OS.

As long as they are the same technology (ATX vs AT) then yes, you would be ok.

i dont really understand what one you want to keep, but the one that is blue screeninh seems to be the better one, how do you know the hdd is bad if your booting up ?. how do you know what is causing to blue screen ? look into these things, when it blue screens, what is the error msg it is showing up, maybe its a simple fix maybe it isnt

i dont really understand what one you want to keep, but the one that is blue screeninh seems to be the better one, how do you know the hdd is bad if your booting up ?. how do you know what is causing to blue screen ? look into these things, when it blue screens, what is the error msg it is showing up, maybe its a simple fix maybe it isnt
He put the working hard drive into the system with the working PSU and expected XP to boot up even though it wasn't configured for that system (incorrect drivers), therefore upon bootup it blue screened. If he puts the working hard drive back into its original system and put the working PSU into that system it should work.

Back
Top Bottom