Fully Optimized
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
EVGA GTX 260
EVGA 9800GT
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

It's awesome when you build a new computer, and then there's always those random persistent problems after you get everything running that bring you down.

First off, I rarely actually shut down my computers. I always put them to sleep. When that happens, it shuts it all off so no fans or lights are on. I go do something else for awhile and come back to see the lights and fans of the computer are running and it's no longer asleep... I didn't touch it. I just looked it up and disabled wake on LAN, but haven't tested it yet. I kinda doubt it will work since no network activity should be happening if I'm not on any computer in my network.

Second, the other day a friend was here and he put a CD in one of my optical drives to see if the CD was good. Suddenly both of my optical drives disappear from My Computer. They don't even show up in Device Manager. Do a restart and the BIOS doesn't see them at first, restart again and it's all well. Then yesterday I go into My Computer and they are gone again. Restart remedies it. Today I had to restart my computer to attempt to fix the third issue and I go into My Computer for something and they are gone again... I haven't restarted again yet, but this is pissing me off.

Third, I'm not really sure what was happening, but my audio driver software started freaking out and kept popping up with a balloon at the taskbar saying I unplugged an audio device, then I closed that out and I've magically plugged it back in without touching anything. It just kept repeating that a device has been plugged in and unplugged. Did a restart and it said I plugged a device in and then never again.

Should I be regretting going ASUS/AMD over the EVGA/Intel combo I had with my last build? The ASUS board in my server did have an issue where the on board LAN port stopped working within a couple months and I had to get a PCI card. I never had an issue with my EVGA board in the 4 years I've owned it...

The problems you're having have nothing to do with AMD vs Intel or any other maker vs another.

Sounds like you just got a bad board, or something isn't set up properly. did you reset the CMOS when you built the system? it's the first step any system builder should do before even installing the OS, allows the motherboard to be truly "zeroed out"

I never really said it was AMD vs Intel so much as ASUS vs EVGA. If EVGA had an AMD board I would have gone with that.

I put the computer to sleep last night after I wrote the first post and it didn't wake from sleep all night. Usually it happens within the first hour or 2 of sleep. So maybe the wake on LAN disabled fixed that somehow. I didn't reset the CMOS because I figured it'd be at it's defaults when I got it. I never reset the CMOS for a brand new board, so I never thought I had to. Should I just go ahead and do it even with the OS already installed?

If the WOL fixes the issue, there's no need. I always reset the CMOS when I get a board, it just ensures that the slate is completely clean when I get a new board.

That seems to have fixed it. Left it in sleep for awhile today and came back to it still asleep.

How about the optical drives? They have gone and disappeared again today. They were up before the computer went to sleep. The mobo has 6GB SATA and 3GB SATA. I plugged the optical drives into the two 3GB SATA ports. Should I move it over to the 6GB?

As for the audio software issue, it hasn't repeated itself again, so maybe it was just something goofy that happened and the restart fixed it.

I have my rig set up to only come out of sleep when I push the power button not when I bump the mouse or anything like that or I find I will accidentally bump something and wake it up for no reason

Now you know why I don't use sleep.

Too many problems.

My laptop has sleep problems if I unplug the USB mouse in sleep mode (restarts itself when I wake it up), but other than that my desktops all go to sleep when I'm not using them no problem until this one. Hibernation has been known to give me issues in the past, so I stopped using that. Plugged the optical drives into the 6GB SATA ports. Seems to be running fine so far. Put a DVD in each and they both worked, and then put the computer to sleep and woke it up and they are still there. Another thing it was doing is every time I had the optical drives disappear on me it would never shut off when shutting down or restarting, just hang at the shutting down screen. I shut it down and it shut down fine. I'll let it run like that for awhile and see if I have any issues. After I typed my last reply I had the audio thing happen a couple times again and then it quit. I had music playing at the time and every time it said it disconnected my music cut off until it reconnected, though no physical connection was broken. Maybe I'll just uninstall the driver and see if the generic Windows driver will work.

Back
Top Bottom