This is my 2nd 8800 GTS to burn up! Please help me decide on another video card.

nuke21

Solid State Member
I had this [BFG Tech] Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS that burned up about 5 months ago. I bought a XFX Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS as a replacement and about an hour ago while I was playing a game it froze with blue lines diagnally on the screen. I shut off the computer and blew everything out in the computer but it is done now. I don't know what the problem seems to be. I really don't think they are frying because of the temperature because the room my desktop is in never gets warmer than like 75 degrees. I have:

ASUS INTER P5E X38 775 motherboard
C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M R Intel CPU
(2) 2G OCZ Gold Edition XTC Ram

Is there a better video card than the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS that will work for my computer (Because I seem to have horrible luck with them) but also a card that is better that be around $100?

Thank you guys very much in advance!

I had similar problems with my 8800gtx untill I found this:

[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card resurrected!

I gave it ago and to my amazement it actually worked and I got another 8 months of hardcore gaming out of my 8800gtx untill I upgraded. give it ago I know its a 8800gts whihc might be slightly different but what do you have to lose? let us know if you try I would be interested to know if it works on your card as well

Thank you both for the reply.

Detox, could you maybe explain what I am looking for on these cards? A friend gave me this link of these two cards side by side but I don't know what I am looking at. How good are they compared to the ones you mentioned? Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

Fisher, I guess I will go ahead and try it. I can only use the [BFG Tech] one because it is the only one I have left lol. The XFX one made me so mad that it did this even after I just bought it, I destroyed it on my garage floor lol. But the XFX one was like fried. It didn't even boot up or anything after it's crash. The [BFG Tech] one if I can remember would still display picture, but it was so bad it was unusable. I will begin this right now.

I would imagine 385F is too hot but I guess we will see what happens...

damn1 that is a shame but I did have some good images in my head of your smashing up your graphics card on your garage floor

I can tell you that it will out perform your old one but in terms of price Im not sure as Im from the UK.

Oh ok. Well atleast it will our perform. I hope it works with my motherboard because I just ordered it lol!

Back
Top Bottom