Scientists at CERN claim to have broken the speed of light

Here's my ignorant speculation: Feynman's sums over history apply to particles moving at high speeds in multiple dimensions. The neutrinos didn't actually go faster than the speed of light, but rather, they traveled a shorten distance by entering and exiting a different dimension during its course from point A to point B.
I like that.

If that is true it's still a ground breaking finding however since AFAIK this would be the first physical (non-theoretical) example of this happening.

Here's my ignorant speculation: Feynman's sums over history apply to particles moving at high speeds in multiple dimensions. The neutrinos didn't actually go faster than the speed of light, but rather, they traveled a shorten distance by entering and exiting a different dimension during its course from point A to point B.

that's the theory that I was thinking of when I said that there are theories of explanations that describe, (not how a particle travelled faster than light) but how it appeared to travel faster than light.
e.g. if it goes through the ball rather than around the outside.

because we can only perceive the distance around the outside we assume that the neutrino must have travelled around the outside (as light travels around the outside) but we assume that the neutrinos are travelling faster than light because they get there first, but they only get there first because they took a short cut.

My understanding is also limited, but I was told that the space curve theory and the idea that things can travel through the curve, not just around it, isn't compatible with the currently accepted string theory. -I didn't find out why this might be.

Back
Top Bottom