Will this drive be okay?

Awesomeness

Solid State Member
This hybrid drive sounds really fast, however reviews tell me there is an over-enthusiastic APM built in that shuts off the disc motor at the drop of a pin. Would this drive still be better than a "normal" hard drive? And how long would the SS memory last?

Hybrid drives were a stopgap while SSDs rose in capacities. I haven't seen any valid reasons to choose one over an SSD/HDD combo (or even just an SSD if you buy one with enough space for you)

Looking at the price however, I'm guessing that you're trying to keep things on the inexpensive side, so look for a good 64 or 80GB SSD and you'll be fine, the performance will also be MUCH faster than this hybrid drive.

So, just get a 64/80 gig SDD and a normal HDD and it'll be fine I suppose? I could put the OS and games on the SDD and everything else somewhere else. Or, could I set it up to merge them into one disk put highly used files such as the OS and games on the SDD automatically, like a hybrid drive? Cause that would be super cool.

Don't bother merging them. You're better off using the SSD as a boot/programs drive, and the HDD for storage. I use that setup at work and it's bloody fast, and I barely notice the extra click to get to files. My laptop here at home has a single 120GB SSD in it, and I am using 86GB, and still have 25 GB free. The nice thing is that as SSD's fill up, they don't slow down. You might get nervous about all of your data being stored in one location, but that's about the only downside to the SSD.

Back
Top Bottom