First Rig- need help to determine if everything will work.

Turtles

Beta member
Hello everyone, I am going to be building my first computer for my sister. I have chosen the parts and everything but just want to make sure that everything will run fine and if possible some advice on building my first computer.

She uses her computer generally for:

• Browsing the internet.
  • Listening to music.
  • Watching videos.
  • Social networking
She did say she would game more if she had a good computer, although I'm not sure how much gaming she intends to do. So here are the parts I have chosen, based off a computer I wanted to build for myself:

Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - XION XON-850P14F High Performance 850WPower supply, compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3/i5 /i7 and AMD Phenom ,SLI/Cross Fire Ready, ATX 12V 2.91 & EPS 12V, QUAD 12V Rails & 6 x SATA

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Newegg.com - Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AB - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Speakers 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR)

Would all this work together?

Are there any additional items I need to purchase like thermal paste?
Any recommendations for this build? (eg; substitute a part for another)

semes like a fine pc to me.
but how much is she willing to pay. you can easy make it cheeper.

she does not need a twin trozer gtx 560ti. just a standard gtx 560 ti will be way more than enough.
that twin trozer edetion cost more then a standard, and she does not need that cooler because she is not overclocking.
but if you do it for her it will still not be nessasary to have that cooler because the card is cool enough.
if you are not doing any serious overclocking with volt tweaking then it is just wast of money.

and about the CPU. i will rather buy a core i5 2500k. it is cheeper and more then enough for her. and it can be overclocked as crazy if needed.
just overclock it slightly and the standard cooler is still enough for her. for that reason i dont think she needs a better cooler. the cpu as stuck is very powerfull.
she does not need it overclocked. if you still want to overclock it the standard cooler will still make it even faster. the cooler might be a waste of money for her use.
but thats up to you/her.

you might also want to considder a gtx 560 (non "TI"), it is cheeper and can play anything.
but if she realy want to start playing games and want to spend the money then go for the better card. just considder the cheeper one.
tell her about the difference and make her dicide what she want.

Alright, I'll get the i5 2500k, and the standard GTX 560 instead, and I can cut out the HYPER 212 fan? Is the power supply a bit too much?
One final question, I have to buy thermal paste and one of the anti static bands for building the computer right? Still new to computers and nervous about doing something wrong.

you are gonna do just fine.
yes you can cut out the 212 fan.

you dont need to buy thermal paste. it is included on the bottom on the standard cooler.
ofcause there is better thermal paste out there, but i dont think you should worry about that when you are using the standard cooler.

the thing about the power suply:
850 watt is more then enough. remember if a bad power suply says 850W then it still might not be able to get that high.
i dont know if it is a good or bad power suply. check some reviews. but you can do with 650W. dont go too lower then that, and make sure that the powersuply can actually use what it says it can do.

Likewise, and I concur with Echo's advice. Looks like a solid build with his suggestions in mind.

Back
Top Bottom