Simple Question About Webcams

Harthos1

Solid State Member
I am looking into getting my first webcam, but most of the ones I have looked at, (in my price range,) come with a microphone. (Which I don't need).

I was wondering, do you HAVE to use the microphone that comes with it? Or can you tell Windows you wanna use another microphone?

Thanks

depending on the program that is using your webcam is where you can set which mic you want to use. Default will be the webcam though.

Unless you've got a studio quality microphone that you want to use, depending on the webcam, the quality can actually be pretty high. But I agree with Kentoram, programs that are often used with webcams (either the bundled suite with the webcam or whatever program you use like Skype, Google Video, Audacity, etc) you can switch between inputs, and Windows itself (if you use Windows) will often let you pick from different microphone sources. Just right click the speaker icon by the clock and choose "Recording devices" and you can choose the default one, and even disable the integrated one pretty easily. I do it this way all the time.

Back
Top Bottom