Building My First Computer, will this stuff work?

Don't do Socket 1366. The platform is dead, and you can get much better performance from an i5 or i7 rocking the Socket 1155 interface. Also, why 16GB of RAM? WAAY overkill for 99% of the things out there now unless you do 3D Modeling or heavy (and I mean HEAVY) video work.

The power supply is also a bit overkill. You could easily run the system on a 650 or 700 watt model and still have headroom.

Picking a decent Z68 based Intel LGA1155 motherboard and either an i5 2500 or i7 2600 (k or not, depends on if you'll overclock) lowering the PSU a bit and dropping the RAM down to at most 8GB will save you some significant cash, and give your PC more of a future.

Not in the money part (saving money that is) but ditch the GTX 460 and get a 570 instead, and you CAN set the games to max settings, coupled with an i5 or i7 on 1155.

Hmmm. Ok so if I swap out the cpu and motherboard with the socket 1155 i will be better off???

Will This be better?

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL8D-4GBXMD
EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I know that the RAM is overkill but would it be worth it?
I like the PSU, if i ever decide to add more stuff.
I am sold on your idea about the 2600k and the gtx 570.

I prob will get 3 moniters, will this work? I don't plan on using all of them though when playing a game.

Also thinking about going to this case, is this one better in your honest opinion?

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

I want to get my computer working by 10/8. So please give me your best advice, thx.

Great Case. Have one myself =P

I don't think a single GTX 570 will support 3 monitors. SLI'd 570's would. I doubt a single card. It will support 2 however.
IMO Ram coolers are a waste, but 8GB should be plenty and since your MOBO supports dual channel RAM 2 sticks was the right choice.

Great choice of MOBO and Processor too.

Motherboard is close, but if you can, opt for one with a Z68 chipset instead of the P series. The Z Chipsets are what the Sandy Bridge chipsets SHOULD have been.

Don't pick an SSD that is rated low and you'll not run into the failure issue. I use both an Intel and a Corsair SSD at work and they work fine, and I have the same Corsair in my laptop at home (and I've had it longer than the work ones) and they're nearly a year old, no issues. Bottom line here is that you can't compare all SSDs with the ones that have high failure rates. They're just like hard drives, bad ones slip through. Best you can do is buy one that you can afford that fits your needs, after you've researched it. The 15k RPM Seagate Cheetah is an SAS drive, and unless you buy a board which specifically supports SAS (which I don't know of many consumer boards that do) you're wasting your money on the rotational medium if you have your sights set on true performance. OCZ's Vertex drives are fine, as are the Corsairs powered by SandForce.

Your motherboard choice looks to be fine, as does the RAM kit. Thumbs down on the Seagate Cheetah however, for the reason I listed above.

I personally havent had any problems with my OCZ Vertex III but I know a lot of people who have constant BSOD.

We're actually using one of the Vertex 2's at work now and it's been working great, though it is only a couple months old.

Back
Top Bottom