Should I install more R.A.M. into my computer or just get a new one?

preytogod

Solid State Member
My moms computer runs super slow.
The current processor and memory is as follows-
1.6ghz intel northwood pentium4
two 256mb sticks and one 512mb -1gb in total-

Anyways I have been considering either upgrading this computer or getting a new barebone and starting over.

The upgrade would be around $60. And that would be upgrading the R.A.M. to two 1 gig sticks -2gb in total-

The other option -barebone- would cost about $250 but then I now I wouldn't have any problems except getting her to switch over to it.

If you could tell me what would work better I would much appreciate it.
Oh and it is currently running windows XP home if that helps at all.
Also I have a 2.1ghz intel northwood processor that I have tried to install in it but it got all jumpy when I installed it. I know that it is compatible from the motherboard specs. If you have any idea about this I would appreciate it so much.

Sorry for making this so long of a question.
Thanks in advance!!

That PC isn't worth the cost to upgrade it. The P4 at 1.6 GHz is a dog, and won't serve her at all at this point. Even with the "jumpy" 2.1 GHz chip, it's still not worth sinking cash into it.

Best option is to build new barebones and upgrading it. You can find substantially more powerful parts for little dough, especially compared to that P4.

and your question wasn't long ;)

"Best option is to build new barebones and upgrading it."
Are you saying to build a new computer and upgrade the old one?
I am sorry but this kind of confused me.

I said what I meant. Buy a barebones system and upgrade THAT barebones system. I assumed that's what you meant when you said buying a barebones, since a barebones system, by definition is one you buy to upgrade. :p

Ok I see where I was confused now. I always thought that barebones systems were just kits you bought and then put together-like TigerDirect has it labeled as.
Lesson learned and BIG thanks for the help.:D

SOME are, some are not, make sure you know *exactly* what you're getting. A standard barebones system is just a case, power supply, motherboard, and CPU. Sometimes there's RAM, sometimes there's RAM, video card and a hard drive, it really varies wildly. As long as you know what you're getting into, it's not a big deal. Bottom line, read to understand what you're buying. :)

Back
Top Bottom