Computer Specs - Will This Do?

silly_windows

Beta member
Hi All,

I have joined these forums to seek advice on a computer I am about to buy. I will be using this PC for:

• School (MS Office)
  • Games (WOW, Starcraft, Diablo 3, GW2 ect)
  • Media (Photoshop, Adobe Elements, Dreamweaver, Flash ect)
  • Social (Skype, MSN)

The PC I am thinking of buying is an Asus Gladiator VA501 and has the following specs:

• AMD Phenom II x2 64 Bit 3.2Ghz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • 1GB Dedicated 6450 ATI Graphics
  • Windows 7 (32 or 64bit)

So now down to the questions.....

1. Are my specs able to complete my gaming and media needs?
2. With the specs above which Windows (32 or 64) bit should I choose?
3. How does the AMD Phenom processor compare to Intel's i3 and i5?

That about sums everything up.

I look forward to reading your replies :)

Kind Regards
Silly_Windows

The PC I am thinking of buying is an Asus Gladiator VA501 and has the following specs:

• AMD Phenom II x2 64 Bit 3.2Ghz
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • 1GB Dedicated 6450 ATI Graphics
  • Windows 7 (32 or 64bit)

So now down to the questions.....

silly_windows said:
1. Are my specs able to complete my gaming and media needs?
For general computing tasks, it would be fine.

silly_windows said:
2. With the specs above which Windows (32 or 64) bit should I choose?
ALWAYS go with a 64 bit OS from this point on. There's really zero reason not to, especially since some of the best apps and drivers out there now are going to be 64 bit.

silly_windows said:
3. How does the AMD Phenom processor compare to Intel's i3 and i5?
In a phrase, poorly on average. The chip you've picked is OK for basic office tasks, but you really want to bump yourself up to at least a quad core, and that's if you go AMD or Intel. The video solution while not great isn't crap either. You'll eventually want to upgrade it at a later date however.

The Phenom II compares fairly well with an i5 in basic tasks, but multimedia and gaming, it can't hold a candle to the i5's. The i3 is a closer match, but it's not really a chip to consider in this case, as I think even the i3 is a limited appeal for what you're doing. You'll want at least a quad core Phenom II or an Intel i5 at a minimum.

As for the video card, if you could manage it, the Radeon HD 6770 is a great card for your intended use, and while you can't max everything on that card, you can get pretty close.

TL;DR,

the GPU is too slow
you should get Windows 64 bit (edition is up to you - Home Premium, Ultimate, etc)
Your CPU is too underpowered, too few cores

Thanks Og,

The PC is defiantly underpowered but is cheap!

Will the Processor and Graphics card be able to run the games listed above on their default settings?

Thanks ;)

Games (WOW, Starcraft, Diablo 3, GW2 ect)

WoW runs on just about anything, so it won't be a problem. I have a netbook that's way lower spec than what you're asking about, and it runs WoW. Not very well mind you, but the desktop system will be a bit better ;)

StarCraft will be playable at defaults, yes.

GW2 is iffy, I don't have enough hands on with it to tell you. I'm guessing "yes" but at lower resolutions/details.

Seems ok Agree with going 64 Bit only because you can increase the RAM and 32bit is RAM amount Limited
Preferable go with an Intel i7 :)

An i7 would be overpowered, and too much out of the OP's price range. There's "hopeful overspending" and then there's "what you can use/need". and an i5 or Phenom II would be fine for the OP's situation.

Back
Top Bottom