1st build gpu question, watercooling?

bdf1992

Beta member
ok let me begin by saying what some of the parts i have decided on already and the use and setup of the pc.

im am going to be using this in many areas like gaming, (graphic intensive games.)
everything from minecraft to stuff like metro 2033

intensive programs like 3DS max, photo shop, UDK, Zbrush, flash CS5 and many open at the same time.

im usually having things like this setup.

3ds max open with a high poly mesh, photoshop editing textures, UDK seeing in game progress, and about 8 firefox tabs open with music barring and some youtube vids.

right now i only have 1 screen but may try to get another at a later date.

ok done with that. on to the parts that are decided.
any suggestions are welcome but stay within 20-30 dollars of the prices. listed.
prices are from newegg

mobo:
gigabyte 9900FXA-UD $149.99

Processor:
Phenom II x6 100t BE $189

Heat sink:
cooler master hyper 212+ (optional 2 fan upgrade (another 10$ or so)) $26.99
( also with over clocking should i look into water cooling, this is also going to be traveling so idk about the safety there but if it's running too hot than thats not safe either)

Case:
cooler master Storm Scout (SGC-2000-KKN1-GP)

thats some of the more important stuff.

my main question wa on the GPUs
with the new sli/Crossfirex option im torn

I've seen people talk about it online but no one has really answered my question

im on a budget so no outrageous cards

I was looking at the 6650, the gigabyte version because 3 fans seems less hot to me
(also im guessing it supports eyefinity as well?)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
thats $239.99 (if you don't wanna look)

would it be better for one of those or something like 2 cheaper cards like
Newegg.com - XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
thats $129.99
a bit more pricy come out to 260
i have a hunch that the one card might perform better but im not too sure.
again any other suggestions are welcome

thank you for reading

The Hyper 212+ on that chip will be fine. Even when mine upclocks itself for turboCORE, it rarely gets over 45C under full load (and I do things like video editing on top of gaming)

Keep in mind that the ATI/AMD video cards don't natively support hardware rendering in some video and even 3D applications like nVidia cards do. Your best bet is to find a compatibility / supported list by a software vendor, and picking the greater of the choices for your card.

You should only run crossfire or SLI if you can't afford a single very fast card for most situations, even with 3D modeling/rendering. That might be different for some of the newer stuff, but that part is what benefits you by doing a little more research by contacting the companies, checking dedicated forums, etc.

Back
Top Bottom