Question about the Bible

Lol. It's hilarious how nobody seems to know what that word actually means anymore.

I was trying to use a little irony, but sort of failed. Just the way a lot of people use the argument "evolution is just a THEEORRYYY" and religion is somehow more than a theory.

I hope the also denounce the theory of gravity and float the f@*k away ^_^

People seem to forget that life goes on beyond religion. People who spend their whole lives thinking about how to get a good afterlife are missing out on the wonderful things this life already provides us with.

I was trying to use a little irony, but sort of failed. Just the way a lot of people use the argument "evolution is just a THEEORRYYY" and religion is somehow more than a theory.

I hope the also denounce the theory of gravity and float the f@*k away ^_^

People seem to forget that life goes on beyond religion. People who spend their whole lives thinking about how to get a good afterlife are missing out on the wonderful things this life already provides us with.

Well, everyone will agree evolution is a theory. Hardly anyone who is religious believes God is a theory, it doesn't work as just a theory...

I don't have any problem with your interpretation of Christianity. My problem is with the Catholic one, where they literally believe in the examples I posted. They're perfectly fine with worshipping their psychopathic, genocidal, ego-tistical, mass-murdering interpretation of God.

Most people need God. They fear death and subsequently need someone to tickle their ears and tell them they will live forever and never die. All the great stories in the bible about damnation and eternal suffering? A very simple control mechanism. Don't do what the church says? Won't give 10% of your money to us? Well that's just fine, nothing will happen to you now, but sooner or later, God's gonna getchya!

People choose a religion because of the lifestyle it allows them to live. Why are there so many religions? Because religious leaders have caught onto the fact that if they say " God allows X in my religion" they just captured another market segment. Change it up a little and you have a different group of followers and all with a different wallet.

Well, everyone will agree evolution is a theory. Hardly anyone who is religious believes God is a theory, it doesn't work as just a theory...

actual logical thinking is unfortunately a trait almost completely confined to the non-religious, and the words Hypothese, theorum/theory and fact should also be confined as such. To believe in something you have never witnessed, never seen with your own eyes and have only been told about, is in my eyes a symbol of near madness. If god is not a theory, then those who believe in his are ignorant of all other views, which is not the way to be really.

anyway, there are so many religions and so many different versions of god, the law of averages suggest that christians are just as hellbound as any atheist. The way I see it, I'm not scared of death, it's a natural part of life and then life is over. If there is a Hell, i'll enjoy this life and put up with the damnation. I'd rather than that devote my life to being boring and manipulated and find out i'm hellbound anyway, or have wasted my life and there's no afterlife.

I use it incorrectly all. the. time. The connotation is more widely accepted than the definition.

Haha. I believe the word you are looking for is "conjecture."

I've always felt that an eternal afterlife would make this life completely meaningless. I'm more than okay with it ending.

Nope, I was talking about the connotation of the word theory. So we may be talking about two different things

Conjecture
Noun: Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.

I was suggesting you use this instead of continuing to misuse the word theory. I think you misunderstood.

Sure did lol

My point was that the connotation of the word Theory is simply an idea... why so many people improperly use it.

I had another thought.

The second of the 10 commandments (I think it's the second, Google Images says so.) says not to worship false idols. Surely, the Pope is not a religious icon mentioned in the bible, and he's definitely worshipped from what i've seen of catholics. Surely that means Catholicism is fundamentally flawed?

pope_worship2.jpg

I've stayed out of this thread until now because I tend to very deliberately turn a blind eye to threads like this on here; personally I don't think they should be allowed because they *always* run away with themselves until we have one group sticking up for Christianity and the other slating it. Often full of arguments on both sides that are either insubstantial, make no sense or just fundamentally flawed.

It's the same as the whole "why do Macs do x" series of threads, always ends up going the same way with no positive outcome for anyone.

Examples? Just looking at the current page here, but comments like this:
actual logical thinking is unfortunately a trait almost completely confined to the non-religious
Examples? Proof to back this up? Studies being shown? This is one of the biggest cases of irony I've seen! You're making a sweeping, generalising statement with no backing claiming that other people that make such statements are ignorant. Taking religious belief out the question here, how is that argument not fundamentally flawed? If I stated that "actual logical thinking is unfortunately a trait almost completely confined to white people" or, God forbid, "actual logical thinking is unfortunately a trait almost completely confined to Christians" you'd probably get rather angry (and rightly so, it's a stupid statement to make.) So please, think of such things before you type.

To believe in something you have never witnessed, never seen with your own eyes and have only been told about, is in my eyes a symbol of near madness.
Once again, have you been up in space and seen the earth is spherical? I'm betting you've never seen that, you've "just been told about it" yet you believe in it. I'm not arguing from a religious perspective here, just a logical one as to why this statement like many others in this thread is without any basis from a logical perspective.

Yes, I am a Christian. No, I can't write you a mathematical formula to prove this is the case. No, I don't agree with many of the things "the church" (in many denominations) have done and in some cases continue to do. I don't agree with the typical "cheesy Christian" perspective of "just convert lots of people and follow these rules and you'll have a happy life and better one to come." (among many reasons, I don't believe it's biblical.)

But besides from all the negative examples of Christianity here, let me throw a positive one in the mix.
My model of evangelism is to be loving to people and if they ask questions, give honest answers. "Tea and toast" for instance was a regular session held at our uni where anyone could come along and help themselves to some tea, or toast, in order to help them sober up a bit if they felt they'd had too much to drink or just fancied some. We provided food and talked about random things with them, if they didn't bring anything up religion related then we were just happy to help them, whatever background they're from, gay, straight, Christian, atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, whatever. If they did ask questions then we were happy to talk, though if they weren't in a fit state to have a serious conversation then we'd deliberately break away from that kind of thing since it's not really helpful to anyone. If they wanted to talk about Christianity, enter into debates or answer questions then they were more than welcome to do so. If not then we were equally as happy to provide for them.

So far I haven't met anyone making a serious case against what we're doing with that, and it's had positive feedback from many, many students.

Now *that* is the sort of thing I believe the bible teaches, not the "shove it in your face" attitude mentioned here a lot. While there have clearly been cases of this going on, I don't believe it's what Jesus would have wanted, I don't believe it's what he would have done (when do you ever see him doing anything remotely similar in the bible?) and I don't believe it's what Christians should be doing.

I have had many debates of this nature over the years, and probably will have many more. But they only work if people on both sides are prepared to put their points across clearly, quoting appropriate sources where necessary and making sure they're well backed up. One thing I really like about academia (yes, that's right, I'm a Christian studying for a PhD in a subject built around logic) is the fact that no-one would even bother reading an article or paper that wasn't clearly written backed up by appropriate sources - and for good reason.

Back
Top Bottom