Three Monitor Set Up and Other Questions

Sickness335

Solid State Member
I've recently bought a big L shaped desk for my computer rig. Everything is set up perfectly, and I've got plenty of space left. I've been considering buying two more 23" monitors for gaming. I'm not really familiar with how the set up for that goes. I know that its recommended that I get the same monitors with the same size. I'm not using an HDMI cable right now, so I'm guessing I'd have to get one ;) Would my rig be able to handle the three monitor set up? I'll post my specs below.

I also have a few other questions. I'm in need of a new keyboard. (I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II, and the space bar is pretty much destroyed) I've found a Razer keyboard that looks great. What are your guy's thoughts on the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition? I've never used a mechanical keyboard before. Do you guys have any pros and cons?

I have a Razer Imperator mouse, and ever since I've gotten this new desk, it seems like the cursor has been moving on its own. I don't know if its the vibration coming from my tower or the speakers, or the mouse pad I'm using. (I'm thinking of getting a Razer mouse pad as well, though the configurator on their site hasn't been loading for me for some reason)

Here are my specs:

Monitor: LG Flatron E2350V 23"
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.4 GHz
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 4096MB RAM
Hard Drive: Hitachi 1 TB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte 870A-UD3
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (On board sound)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Speakers: Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Sound

The video card is a little underpowered for triple monitor loving, so you'll probably want to look at getting an Eyefinity capable monitor just so you can drive all three monitors from the same display. I'd recommend a card no slower than the 6950 if you do go that route.

The keyboard is fine - Mechanical keyboards have their own snobby following - the mechanical "click" is supposed to be more satisfying than the other stuff out there. If you've got the cash... why not?

"Mouse creep" can be due to several factors, often getting a mouse pad where you didn't have one before is one possible fix.

Sorry I forgot to mention, the video card is not made by Nvida, it's made by Asus. It's ddr5, and the voltage has been tweaked 50%. I'm not sure what you mean by an Eyefinity capable monitor though.

I think I will be getting that keyboard, it seems worth trying.

And I agree with the mousepad. I'm thinking the mouse creep has to do with the vibration coming from the tower into the desk, as when I play a game, the tower fan's start to kick in.

doesn't really matter who the card is "made" by since they all use either one of a handful of chipsets (AMD and nVidia being the most common obviously).

Eyefinity capable monitor just means that it would have the ability to work with an adapter called "display port" but if you've got an nVidia based card made by Asus, it's a moot point.

Can your GTX460 even drive 3 monitors? I have a GTX 260 and it can only drive 2. For my tri monitor setup I only game on the middle monitor so I have that connected to the GTX260, and the 2 side monitors are powered by a separate 9800GT. I'd say an eyefinity capable video card would be better if you want your game to span all 3 monitors. I want to do that eventually but I don't have the extra cash at the moment.

Haha I'm not sure if it can even handle two :) I think if I just get one more monitor, and have the two set up only, I shouldn't have a problem. I think three might be pushing it, especially with just one card. And a three monitor set up with eye infinity would be great to have, but to be honest I don't have that much extra cash either :p

I never personally liked a 2 monitor setup. While it's more handy than a single monitor there's the space between each monitor in the middle rather than a center monitor in the middle and 1 on each side. If you were to put your main monitor in the center that would solve that problem, except that only 1 would be off to the side and that would bother me as well. :p I'm weird.

I dont think Nvidia has the ability to play across 3 screens?

This is what i mean

And if Nvidia can play 3 screens, im pretty sure you need SLI to do so.

It's called 3D vision surround, but it can also be used in 2D. And yes, you need SLI for it to work, but the scaling is horrible compared to eyefinity.

Sorry for me taking so long to reply. I looked at the box the GTX 460 came in. It's SLI ready, so I guess it can handle 3 monitors. Would I be able to run 3 monitors at 1920x1080? I feel like that would be really pushing it on one card only

Back
Top Bottom