Can't Delete a File/Folder

bjorkvall

Solid State Member
I have a folder on my external hard drive that i can't seem to delete. When i try it comes up as "This is no longer located in F:\. Verify the item's location and try again"

My OS is Windows Vista.

I was advised to try to delete it via command prompt but that didn't work either cos the folder hasn't got an 8.3 name so i can't tell command prompt what to delete even though the folder is showing up in the directory.

I also tried something called Unlocker but that didn't seem to work at all, i don't think it's compatible with vista.
What can i do?

Regards
F

Take ownership of the folder with the Command Prompt

"takeown /f foldername"

Thanks, i've tried that now but that doesn't work either. When i tried taking ownership i got: "ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified"

I don't think the problem is ownership/access but instead that as far as the system is concerned the folder is no longer there, but it's still visible for me. It's extremely annoying cos i can't delete, rename, move.

Any other ideas?

If that's the case, then simply run "chkdsk" and that will remove the folder.

I ran chkdsk, it didn't work either. Running out of options i think. As much as i don't want to i might have to re-format the drive. I've got nearly 200GB of audio and video files on it that i would have to transfer somewhere so i wanted to avoid it but it might be the only option.

It didn't work because of me lol When you run chkdsk, you have to specify the drive... For example: "chkdsk x:" Where x equals the drive letter. Run that and it should clear that folder out of there.

I actually first tried it by right-click then properties then tools in the disk overview menu but after seeing your reply i've now tried it in elevated command prompt and can you believe it it comes up as "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems". I still can't do anything with the folder. Unbelievable, i really thought it was gonna work as i was running chkdsk. Do you think formatting is the only option left?

Have you tried to delete in SafeMode? I would also do a virus scan at this point...

If neither of the above produce results... formatting is a last resort and will indeed work.

Yeah i've tried it in safemode without success. Will do a virus scan then try to find space for a whole lot of files so i can format the drive:)
Thank you so much for reaching out, i really and truly appreciate it.

CCleaner has this tool that will wipe the free space on a given drive. you could try that.

Back
Top Bottom