cheap pc upgrades

craig6661

Solid State Member
can anyone tell me a cheap pc, to buy as standard
but you can make into a pc beast with the right upgrades?
looking to buy a cheap one,. and over time add the parts to it?

as ihave no idea how to build one from the ground up tbh
and, im looking to spend bout £200 - £300, maybe £400 at a push.

Unfortunately, at that price point, it's very hard to get something with a lot of upgrade potential that you don't build yourself.

The things you want, in any potential PC:

Standard ATX case. Don't buy a "miniITX" or "MicroATX" - the MicroATX is OK as long as the rest of this is good as well.

Expansion Slots: Minimum of one PCI Express x16 slot. PCI Express 2.x preferred over 1.x, but both are fine

Memory Slots: Minimum of two, which usually isn't a problem. 4 if you can at all help it

CPU: Even if it's not a screamer, make sure you can drop one in later, that is. (Minimum AMD: Socket AM3 or AM3+(AM3b), Intel: Socket 1155 (NOT 1156)

Hard Drive, CDRW/DVDRW - doesn't matter too much, they're pretty universal

Power Supply - If it's a MicroITX case, they limit you pretty badly here. Don't even consider the system if you can't "size" the power supply with it being at least 5 inches across in it's cavity. Reference photos online of an ATX power supply to see what i mean.

yeah iknow that price isnt huge..
but as time goes by ill spend more on it to keep it / make it better more up to date
and, i kinda understand what some of that stuff means.. but not alot :L
but thanks for yout reply,

Feel free to ask any clarifying points. I know folks on this forum are all "OEM IS EBIL! BUILD YER OWN!" but sometimes, it just makes more sense for someone to buy prebuilt as money allows. No worries.

if I brought a Dell Optiplex GX270, does that have the power to run wireless keyboard + mouse?
+ wireless internet?

The power, yes, long term, nil. It's only worth $80, and even then... upgrading would be worthless.

but one with a 1TB harddrive.. for round $80 isnt bad?
if it can do wireless stuff?
+maybe in the future get a better processor and fans?

Dell Optiplex GX270 + Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 Blue LED 200mm Case Fan
would this work? mainly cos, itll look cool?
anyone know any lights you can get hold of for it?

Back
Top Bottom